Front clip / subframe for '52 Chevy Truck - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2006, 08:50 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Front clip / subframe for '52 Chevy Truck

I've had a '52 chevy truck for a couple of years and am ready to subframe the front end. I am hearing that the 81-87 gm (Cutlass, Olds, Monte Carlo, etc.) is a great donor. Has anyone done this? Please let me know if you have some advice that would be helpful.

I really appreciate it.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2006, 08:51 PM

52 chevy truck isf

im working on a 52 chevy 3100 and went with using the front crossmember/ subframe from a 1985 chev 3/4 ton. so far im happy with my progress. first off the late 70s early 80s chev trucks have a bolt on front ifs. it all comes off in one chunk and only needs a small spacer to mount it on to the older frame. i got mine for $150. i got power steereing, disk brakes, coils, 5 lugs and every thing else without needing to weld a thing and it took about a weekend to rip out and install. im trying to mount the original columb and i need to get some parts for that but its something to check out if you wat a indipendant front suspension for cheap. im going back for the rear end soon.
Old 07-19-2006, 08:33 AM

Last photo:

Yeah, the 73-87 front crossmember unbolts with all the suspension components as an assembly, add the spacer you need and bolt or weld it on your exhisting rails. You can also make height adjustments and there are many aftermarket drop spindles and springs available. And the stock replacement parts are as cheap as they get.
Old 07-19-2006, 12:16 PM

From what I've seen the tracking width on those trucks are wider than stock and could cause some tires to rub. A solution is to narrow it but that seems like a lot of trouble and could be problematic. I figured it would be easier to get something with the same width.
Old 07-19-2006, 12:24 PM

Last journal entry: as she sits now Sept 09
Last photo:

I am currently building a '51 gmc 1/2 ton. We (with a little work) mounted the '51 body on a '78 chev shortbox rolling chasis. a lot less fabrication involved (in my opinion). Bonus of power brakes, steering, disc brakes up front, etc
Old 07-20-2006, 10:58 AM

S10 Frame ?

Hey guys,just my 02 cents.I have a 39 International mounted on an s10 frame.There is a company in Ca, that makes a bolt on kit to mount your advance design Chevy trucks to the s10 frame. I think if you google for it you can find it.If you pm me I will give you the link,not trying to sell anything here just it looks like a pretty cool kit,and he claims you can do it in a weekend,best of luck Johnny Since I have come across the link elsewhere in other posts I guess its allright to post it,I have no interest in the complany,just found it very interesting.Has anyone done this kit ? http://www.ad-engineering.com/

Last edited by 1939d2/s10; 07-21-2006 at 06:24 AM.
Old 07-20-2006, 05:11 PM

Last journal entry: 1954 Chevy Truck Project
Last photo:

I have performed the G-body subframe modification to my 1954 chevy half ton. It is a fabrication intensive modification that is not for the faint of heart. The steering box interferes with the core support requiring it to be sectioned and modified to kick the radiator forward at the bottom. There are some pics of my project in my gallery here and at http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/...name=houston54

If I were to do it again I would use the rear steer nova or first gen camaro subframe to prevent this problem but that option might present other challenges.

From my experience I would suggest going with an IFS kit as you can get a good complete unit for under $1,500 which is close to what you would have in the subframe mod once EVERYTHING is said and done and it would save alot of time on your project. It would also increase the value of the finished product.

If you are not in a rush I would save for the IFS while focussing on body work and other running gear pieces.

If you do not have fabrication skills or the associated tools (Mig welder, cutting rig, grinders, etc) then the sub-frame is not the way to go.

If you are dead set on the subframe then I would suggest you obtain the video from No Limit Engineering that shows you how to perform it.

Good luck
Old 07-22-2006, 10:47 PM

the track width is a little larger. it puts the sidewalls flush with the fenders. the 80s ifs also gives the truck some height. its good if you want to make it look tough. if you want a lowrider then dont use the 80s ifs on your truck unless you want to buy new wheels with different backspacing and put in air rides, then you will be fine.
Old 07-25-2006, 02:39 AM
A different breed

Last journal entry: New Truck
Last photo:

Heres my F100 frame clipped with a Camaro frame.

It was a weekend job.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:37 PM

thanks a lot this gives me some
ideal on what to do:
Old 05-09-2014, 09:29 AM

Last photo:

The full-size Chev bolt-in crossmember is a common thing to try but really too wide...there's just no way to make the tires/wheels fit in there right...and too heavy. The S-10 is too narrow. G-body is good but as said, fabrication-intensive as in addition to the radiator/steering box problem (which is major) there is not an easy match between it and your truck frame and a good portion needs to be made up. '70-'81 Camaro is closer but again pretty wide and there's the steering box problem again. Best is really the first-gen rear-steer Camaro with the right width, no steering box problem and rails that more-or-less aim for the truck stockers...or...the crossmember kit as mentioned above.

I'm pretty-much in agreement w/ Houston 54, he's obviously been-there-done-that... For a catalog crossmember kit I've always been concerned about tiny Mustang II parts being used in trucks but for a light half-ton they seem to work, a bud's truck with one was really a sweet driving vehicle and the appearance of the wheels in the fenders was tailor-made.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.