Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Front clips and frame swaps --- More work, less value
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2003, 04:09 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Well, I certainly have some opinions.

First is cost. I did a hybred frame swap on my 57 chevy truck. I had less than $300 in the whole frame with new power brakes, power steering, rearend. I could not have bought even the cross member for that. Not to mention everything else. Also, I used the coil spring rear suspension which not only performs better, but rides better. I was able to reuse all the mounts off of the old frame and just relocate them to the new frame and remove the new frames existing mounts. The bed bolted directly on with no modification.

As for the track width, it was off by about 1 inch on each side. All that is neede to correct it is a set of wheels with proper back spacing, which cont cost any more than any other custom wheels. Track length was perfect.

As for saftey, I dont see any issues since I used all oem parts just partially rearranged.

There is a picture of the truck in my album at the track on a launch. Take a look.

Chris