Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Front Disc Brakes on B-Body 65-70 Chevy Impala's
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2013, 02:49 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooma View Post
Hi all, I plan on installing a set of front disc brakes on my 68 Impala. I've looked at the conversion kits and will not use them on a full size Chevy B-Body. Just not sufficient enough with a small diameter rotor and single piston caliper that is used on mid size vehicles. I am wondering if anyone has used the Corvette disc brake set up on these cars and if they had any issues with that idea. Based on my research, the 68 Impala disc brake option (rare that it is) used the Corvette spindle knuckle and caliper. Not sure if they used the hub or any other Corvette parts. Thanks for any info and first hand experience you can share.
before I dig in, are you going to autocross this tank?
are you going to road race this tank?

if no to both.. then your comments on the single piston and 11" disc are off kilter
g.m. used 11" rotors on all b bodys up into the 90's
only ones that got 12" was the tow package and taxi/cop cars..
it worked just fine on millions of these cars..

a well balanced 11" disc and rear drum will out stop an unbalanced vette disc and stock rear drum every day of the week..

you'll get better stop'n with lighter wheel package than ,that fancy vette parts..

good luck.. but remember g.m. used what YOU WON'T for 25+ years with no problems in normal use..

unless you are going to race this on a roadrace or autocross.. what you want is nothing more than eye candy..
and at that point go straight to wilwood and get 13" front and 12" rear disc kits. and a set of light weight wheels (3 pieces) $$$$ and have a car that put your face on the glass...
adding better brakes is useless unless you plan on better wheel package and tires that grip .. allong with better springs/shocks/aint roll bars,bushings,etc..

again good luck
remember your tank weight less than a 2010 camaro.. what you want and what it needs are two different things
The Following User Says Thank You to gearheadslife For This Useful Post:
NEW INTERIORS (05-09-2013)