Hot Rod Forum banner

Front disk brake swap.

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  fasteddy51 
#1 ·
I own a 1978 Buick Reagal W/ 10.5 inch disk brakes. I would like to know if 11 inch disk brakes from a 1986 caprice classic will work. I have the spindles, rotors and callipers from the caprice. Will the steering be affected ? Ifthey will not work is their a disk brake set up from another G.M. make or model that will be compatable ?

#2 ·
The Caprice and the G-body have nearly the same rotors, so this is a worthless swap. The B-body wagons and HD brake cars (police/taxi) have 12" rotors. In either case, swapping the spindles will change steering geometry and induce bump steer. Not clear this is a good thing to do.

#3 ·
The LS1 swap is really the way to go. Modify your existing spindles, cut down your rotors to create a hub, and mount the LS1 rotors, abutment brakets and adapter bracket and your in business. I did this to my Monte Carlo front brakes, and it worked out awesome. You have to go with 16" wheels at least for the caliper clearance. Listed below is a url address you can see the details, or just Google LS1 G Body brakes and there is lots of good info. Good luck!

http://v8s10.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=17842&start=0

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.