Front drive shaft - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2006, 04:14 PM
A Learning Hobbist

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Front drive shaft

Has anyone ever removed their front drive shaft on the trucks with full time 4x4 to make it 2wd? I want to on my 79 Chevy k10 temporarily until I get a kit to convert it to part time 4x4...or at least until I can get the new u-joints on the front shaft itself replaced. I know I will have to drive with it in hi-loc while I have it like this.

Also, this isn't a daily driver, just to screw around on the weekends running errands and what not.

THanks again,
Steve

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2006, 06:23 PM

Last photo:

Drove an 81 Chevy with out the front shaft for so long that I lost the original shaft!! Had to buy another one when I fixed the problem and sold the truck.
Old 03-03-2006, 06:41 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

If its full time 4 wheel drive, you will have to leave the transfer case in lock.

Budget RVs
Old 03-03-2006, 06:45 PM
just a gearhead in paradise..

Last journal entry: last ones for now.
Last photo:

sounds like you got a NP203 transfer case and full time hubs. you should be able to disconnect the front shaft, and it may save a little gas by less rotating mass robbing the engine of power. if you get the chance you will want to install locking hubs, then you can leave it rolling and keep the shaft in.
Old 03-03-2006, 07:11 PM
A Learning Hobbist

Last photo:

Thanks, I need new u-joints up there and they are making a raquet. I plan on getting a conversion kit for it so that I can go back and forth much easier.

THanks again,
Steve
Old 03-04-2006, 09:04 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Transmission identification
Last journal entry: 1988 Suburban, the project continues.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

I had to run a couple of my trucks like this at one time or another because of universal's or parts breakage.

Like Poncho said you will have to pull the shifter into lock, to lock up the transfer case differential so the truck will move. I never really noticed a mileage difference on mine when I converted it, it still weighed 6000 pounds and I never thought I would get over 14 highway out of it empty anyway.
Old 03-06-2006, 01:26 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M CUSTOM
I had to run a couple of my trucks like this at one time or another because of universal's or parts breakage.

Like Poncho said you will have to pull the shifter into lock, to lock up the transfer case differential so the truck will move. I never really noticed a mileage difference on mine when I converted it, it still weighed 6000 pounds and I never thought I would get over 14 highway out of it empty anyway.
forgot about the weight.... but i thought it saved a little with the axle just rolling instead of robbing HP... then again if the P/t Transfercase were used then it would make a difference
Old 03-06-2006, 02:13 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

This is my -ton shortbox stepside, as it sat like it is pictured here, it weighed 6800 pounds with me and a full tank of gas. It has the NP-205 part time transfer case and I never got over 12 miles per gallon highway mileage out of it, it weighs more than that now that i have removed that massive front bumper and fabricated a snowplow mount for it.
Now with the plow mounted and ready to go I put down just a mere 8000 more or less.

The front has 6 leaf springs per side, and the rear 11, the rear bumper is a 12 inch I-beam that has a nominal 5/16" thickness, and the front bumper pictures here is all " or " steel except for the 3/16" tubing for the brush guard.

I built this truck from the ground up and had it weighed many times when I hauled junk in with it for gas money.
I was single when I built this truck so I don't have many pics of it "playing" but when I get home (I'm at work on lunch break) I will put a couple pics of it "working" on here.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:44 AM

Last photo:

wow.. that is a lot of weight... out here it would be illegal on some roads... besides i think people would run thinking it is the "Mad Max" look. but the bumper in the pic looks really functional... you could have a bunch or your buddies sitting on the edge and go hunting... and you would still have a place to put the deer... i kind of wished i had a shotgun saturday when i was on the back road. i flushed a pheasent with my exhaust and it flew right infront of my truck... would have been a nice bird... body was about a foot long maybe 14"... funny though.. this was the second time i flushed a pheasent with my truck... but your truck is built for function... that is nice...
Old 03-06-2006, 04:39 PM
A Learning Hobbist

Last photo:

Thats a sweet looking truck. I hope to have mine looking like that someday. I have a plow on it, I can't wait until I can get my Fisher minute mount on it, and get a lift too.

Thanks for replying.

Steve
Old 03-07-2006, 05:32 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I found out REALLY quick that with the lift I have on this truck when I installed my Fisher plow, USE 36 INCH PLOW GUIDES, when it was down I couldn't see the 24 inch guides. The front bumper I had on the truck before the plow frame was installed had a 12 inch wide walkway so I could work under the hood a lot easier.
As the township supervisors will attest to I have beat on this truck just a little bit, I have had it (as they said to me) almost three feet off the pavement going over the railroad tracks one time going to visit my ex girlfriend.
I have had it in mud up to the rocker panels, but the heft of all that weight kept me from really doing well in the goo.
In the last picture, the road in front of my house (all the way to the right side of the pic) is at a height of 5 feet from my lawn and at an angle of 55 degrees, and on a bet of $20 I climbed it with no problem.
I know there are many trucks out there that will do more than mine would even think of, but I did a lot of playing around and had a lot of fun, with the satisfaction that I built this thing MYSELF and on a budget of less than $4000 total when all was said and done, and the truck from the day I bought it to the day it was licensed and insured was almost a year and a half in the making.

Here's the stats on the truck as pictured here:
1985 350 +.020" 9.0:1, Edelbrock 1406/ performer intake, 462624 heads surface ground .026" 70cc 1.94X1.5, cheap headers, 2.5 inch duals into Flowmaster's and up to 3 inch stacks.
1978 TH-350 transgo shift kit set up for towing/hauling.
1974 NP-205.
1983 GM 8.5-inch -ton axle with 4.10 gears & open diff.
1974 GM 10.5-inch 1-ton axle with 4.10 gears, 13-inch drums & open diff.
15X10 Eaton Monster steel wheels, with 33X12.5X15 Interco Super Swamper TSL tires.
The front brake calipers had to be machined down 1/8-inch for the Eaton Monster wheels to fit with just enough clearance to allow for cooling.
1969 Chevy Blazer frame with modifications to allow the truck body to be retrofitted.
1979 Chevy K-25 truck cab and front clip.
1978 Chevy C/K-10 wood floor stepside bed.

The first pic is when I was hauling a load of slab wood for some reason I have long since forgotten.
The second pic is showing the wife that the tires WILL actually climb onto something that is OVER half the height of the tires.
The third pic is of the truck sitting next to parts of yet another parted out truck, I have parted out more than 30 of them over the years.
The fourth pic is of the trucksitting ready for the snow to pile up enough to make it worth plowing. The way I built the plow frame I could re-position the lift bar and pick the plow to a height of around 38 inches to the bottom of the wear-bar, perfect for stacking snow to a height of the top of the cab when necessary, something else I never thought of taking a picture of either.

I built this truck from the ground up, so I know exactly what is in it, I had to completely re-wire the entire truck, run fuel and brake lines, modify the frame with 6 inch square tubing to allow the later model body to fit the frame and add strength.

I have not driven it in about 2 years as it needs completely torn down and rebuild from the ground up AGAIN, I broke the right rear main leaf spring, the right framerail under the middle of the passenger side door, cracked the reinforced frame section where the steering gear box is mounted, blew the remote mount oil filter/cooler line and puked the entire 9 quarts, resulting in a rattle from a rod bearing, and from all the abuse I also took out the rear brake line just before the T-fitting.

I have a frame and drivetrain with even more lift I am going to reinforce a little better than this truck was, that has a total suspension lift of 7 inches as the frame sit's now. I just have to get back to work on it, I have a Cadillac 500 engine ready to go in it.
I am considering 4 wheel steering with the new one and running a total weight of less than 4500 pounds if I can.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	K-25f.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	10611   Click image for larger version

Name:	K-25d.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	10612   Click image for larger version

Name:	K-25c.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	10613   Click image for larger version

Name:	K-25a.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	10614  

Last edited by M&M CUSTOM; 03-07-2006 at 05:38 PM.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.