Front end shimmy - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2006, 04:50 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Front end shimmy

My 1935 has a all new Mustang II front with new Michelins (been sitting off car for years). Had balanced by Pat Goss' Garage on their trick machine and aligned by front end shop with excellent rep. On occasion, about 50% of time if I let go of wheel will get slight shimmy that goes away when I regrab wheel. Don't feel much when holding wheel. Any suggestions?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2006, 10:53 AM
AKA:"SLOWRIDE66"take it easy!

Last wiki edit: How to post pictures on a forum
Last journal entry: 85 Suburban
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 38

Try driving on a freshly paved road & see if it still happens.

Check to make sure everything is tight {tie rod ends. ball joints Ect...} check the wheel bearings.

If it still does go get a load force variant balance to see it the wheel(s) is some how screwed up.

R

"Illegitimis non carborundum"
Don't let the bastards grind you down!

Crankshaft Coalition Master List of Hotrodding Forums
Old 07-25-2006, 11:23 AM

Thanks I did notice last night that the tie rod ends don't have cinch nuts but I can't imagine the tie rod ends moving that much but anythings possible. I just hope I can maintain the toe in adjustment when I unscrew to put on the nuts.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:45 AM
Old Crusty Streetrodder

Last photo:

You mentioned that you have an all new MII front end. Check the lower control arms and make sure they are parallel to the ground when at rest. If not, you may be experiencing bump steer, which can be confused with tire balance shimmy and general steering shimmy. Some can be adjusted (Chassis Engineering) and other not (Heidts).
Old 07-25-2006, 12:43 PM

It's a Heidts. I put it in according to instructions and the lower arms arms are parallel to the road. If it was off, couldn't one change the spring height to raise or lower the arms? It drives perfect except for this slight shimmy. I think your right that the type of road surface affect the amount of shimmy. On some roads there is none.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:15 AM
Old Crusty Streetrodder

Last photo:

You can always adjust by changing the spring height, but Chassis Engineering has an adjustment at the top of the tower for setting ride height.

If your lower control arms are parallel, you're fine...it's something else

George
Old 07-26-2006, 08:56 AM

Thanks. I drove it last night and was fine on certain roads. I'm thinking it's the balance on the tire except it doesn't get worse at speed and at 65 I feel a slight something, but not really shaking, in the wheel but the mirrors are all rock solid. I think first step is to double check balance. I bought the front Michelins new 10 years ago but they basically sat on the car. Maybe they took a set although that should show up on that high dollar Hunter balancer.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.