front end suspension - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2002, 08:05 PM
56 Chevy Truck

Wiki Edits: 0

Post front end suspension

Trying to convert a 56 chevy pickup strait axle to disc brakes and power steering. I have found a front end out from under a 78 mustang. Can I make this work. It is supposed to be a mustang II. Thanks. Scott

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2002, 02:05 AM

Last photo:

ok there are tho waus of dooing what you want. either use the mustang II unit which isntīthat hard just jack up the truck under the frame to exactly the heigh you want. then take the old shock and compress it so that when boltet in the mustang IFS sits in the position it would be in if loaded then weld the shock so that it will hold the setup in that position.

you can then set the crossmember where uoy want it ... ie. wheels in stock position or a couple of inches lower. all in all relatively time consumeing.

Or you can sell the mustang front end and get a front frame from a 67-68 camaro and cut the PU frame and weld the camaro frame in. that way everything fits, even yo9ur motormounts
Old 05-20-2002, 02:34 PM

Thumbs up

you sure can!
my advice would be to pick up a aftermarket crossmember made for your truck (can be found for around 350). it will relieve you from a lot of greif. i've been doing Mustang II frontends sence befor the kits were available.
Old 05-21-2002, 07:56 AM

Spend the money on the aftermartet crossmember, they have all the geometry worked in to them. This in my opinion is the BEST way. it is definately cost effective, well worth your time alone.It will give your ride a professional look for really, very little cash. Not to mention i think it is the safest option. Just an opinion. Take care.
Old 05-21-2002, 08:46 AM

Last photo:

Cool

them big ol spit and shine semi trucks that fly by at 70-80+ use straight front axels.
and ride rather well

now days you can upgrade to composit springs front and rear sway bars premo shocks and disc brakes. air ride rear box the frame.

a lot less hassel and a good clean safe upgrade. leave the torch for cuttin scrap

www.crussenclassics.com/

BYE BYE

bullfoot.bravepages.com/index.html
bullfoot.bravepages.com/photos5.html
<a href="http://bullfoot.bravepages.com/bigsky.html]BIG SKY MONTANA 2002[/URL]
Old 05-21-2002, 10:55 AM

I'm in both camps. Use the Must II parts on an aftermarket crossmember IF you are a good welder or have access to one. If not, or don't have big bucks, consider the Monoleaf with good shocks on stock front suspension. You can add disc brakes from a number of sources.Both are good, depends on what you like...
Old 05-21-2002, 07:38 PM

I have a 52 Chevy pickup that still has the solid front axle. I have been thinking about monoleafs for the front. I remember seeing them in a catalog at sometime, but cant fund it any more, so here comes the ?. Where are monoleaf springs for the AD trucks sold?
Old 05-22-2002, 01:03 AM

Last photo:

for mono leafs try <a href="http://classicperform.com/" target="_blank">classic performance</a>

for custom lowered leafs try<a href="http://www.espo.com/" target="_blank">espo springs and stuff</a>

there is other suppliers i'm sure but tis will give you a place to start
Old 05-22-2002, 05:55 AM
Toy builder

Last photo:

Bullfoot is on the money with the straight front axle. With some work on the frame i have one in my truck now that sits lower than a clipped truck and drives,rides pretty good. like Bullfoot says that Peterbuilt that went buy you at over 80 mph with 80,000 GVW has got one under it..and they ride very well as i and bullfoot can both atest to being former longhaulers.(outlaws in most poeples eyes LOL) But i will not kid you a mustang II will drive even a better and cost allmost the same amount in the end. If you just want disc brakes and a little lower stance the springs and disc's are the way to go.It will also require you on most older trucks to switch over to a daul line master cyl...which i believe in my personal opinion should be the first thing you do to ANY old car. It just the safe thing to do. I will say this much ...i am not much of a fan of a mustangII out of a donor car ,they are just not good enough to be putting under your rod. The new generation aftermarket mustangII is nothing like the original ones we used to use out of a donor car(thankfully)

[ May 22, 2002: Message edited by: Phat ]</p>
Old 05-22-2002, 03:02 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

I have done all three! I have put stock M-II x-members in two rods, one of them a tilt front '42 Willys gasser that is an award winner so the stock unit can be made very presentable with a little work. It didn't seem to me to be very much trouble but I am of the old junk yard parts school; I haven't bought a "billet" part yet!

I also grafted a mid-70s Monte Carlo front clip to a '57 Chev PU for another friend and that only took a week of evenings and came out super.

Finall on my personal '53 Chev PU I am staying with the stock reconditioned front suspension. Only modification is I am adding a Land Cruiser power steering gear and tilt Chevy column so I can steer it w/o spraining a wrist! It is bullet proof, rides fine (MUST use radial tires or it will throw you all over the road) and I get +60,000 on a set of tires!
Old 05-26-2002, 03:43 AM

[quote]Originally posted by ksm:
<strong>Trying to convert a 56 chevy pickup strait axle to disc brakes and power steering. I have found a front end out from under a 78 mustang. Can I make this work. It is supposed to be a mustang II. Thanks. Scott</strong><hr></blockquote>

you need to make some kind of subframe but that's quite easy if you can weld and grind.
Note almost every 1953-'56 truck has mustang 2 front parts to give it a better handling
Old 05-29-2002, 04:12 PM

i am able to get my hands on an 81 firebird sub frame real cheap. could i make this work in my 54 chevy pickup? thanks

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.