Front end and truck conversions - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2004, 07:08 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Front end and truck conversions

Yeah i got two questions.

(1.) If i would happen to get a 39 Chevy Sedan 2dr, would i be able to put a 37 Plymouth Front end on it?

(2.) If u get a 5 window 32 coupe car, could u possibly chop the back half off of it, put a truck bed there, but keep the front end and junk? Basically keep the front end to the back of the cab. but cut out the trunk/Rumble seat, w/e.

These are both Ideas i have for my next project and i just wondered if anyone has done them or if it is possible. The second one i think would look cool because it would look like an old truck but it would have an "extended cab" look.

thanks in advance guys.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2004, 09:47 PM

I have no idea on either of those, to old for me.
But anything is possible. My former employeer is big into 46 ford converts. About two years ago we built a 46 ford phantom roadster. The front end and doors of a convert with a 54? ford p.u. cab grafted in, with a p.u bed out back.
If you ever look in the street rods mags and see a Kelley's fiberglass 46 convert and glass roadster ad, I helped build the steel body version for the molds
Old 10-10-2004, 01:05 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,274 Times in 1,115 Posts
The front sheet metal on a 32 Ford five window is the exact same as the truck. The question is WHY would you want to cut up a much desirable Duece coupe? There have been a number of "extended cab" 32 Ford pickups made by rodders and that is all you would have with the cut up Five window, nothing new.
Old 10-10-2004, 09:05 AM
Young & Idealistic

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: 1950 Fargo - losing hope
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Quote:
Originally posted by MARTINSR
The front sheet metal on a 32 Ford five window is the exact same as the truck. The question is WHY would you want to cut up a much desirable Duece coupe? There have been a number of "extended cab" 32 Ford pickups made by rodders and that is all you would have with the cut up Five window, nothing new.
yeah but if he keeps it as a deuce coupe will he then have something new? the truck will be newer or more original than all the SBC decue coupes that you can see everywhere..

Mike
Old 10-10-2004, 10:10 AM

Last photo:

My point is, he won't have ANYTHING new. There have been a number of "phantom" extended cabs made, there have been crew cabs made, there have been "Ranchero" type Dueces made.

There have been 32 Fords made in every shape and style, highboys, lowboys, cycle fenders, no fenders, rad rods, billit rods, twin engine big block Chevy powered, Ferarri V12 powered, rear engine, School buses, Fire Trucks, lakesters, metalflake, angle hair covered, leather interior, mexican blanket, Chopped down to a two inch windshield, tilt body, chrome frame, four wheel independent, etc.

There are more Dueces today by a hundred times at least than were built by Ford. They are without a doubt the most popular model car every made. THERE IS NOTHING "GOOD" AND "NEW" THAT CAN BE DONE TO ONE. There is NOTHING that you could think of that hasn't been done before, unless of course it SHOULDN'T be done, like put a 63 Vette front fenders and hood on it.

My point is, you just can't do something "wrong" just to be different. There is nothing you can do that won't be more of a stand out more than just making a clean well detailed car. Not when it comes to the Duece.

But that is my opinion, and there have been a million of them as well.

Old 10-11-2004, 11:16 AM

theres always something new to do to any cars, u just have to be creative and think of possible ways to do it. It doesnt matter to me to cut up a car, no matter what year it is. Personally, i dont like all original Cars. there's no personality to them. Anything i have is gonna have something done to it. Im all into the Custom kemps and the old school rods. and many of them were chopped up.

But i'm also only 16 years old and dont know as much as you guys do.

Anyway, thanks for the advise guys. But can i do the first one. No one said anything about that.
Old 10-11-2004, 10:58 PM

Last photo:

Anything can be done, but that would take major modification.

16 huh, here I am at 16 in 1974. Listen, I have loved body mods as well as these photos prove. In fact, this truck is in my back yard as we speak. It has lived as a chopped flat bed with an inline six with a homemade tunnel ram with a four barrel 14 inches higher than the valve cover. It has lived with regular step side bed and a mid engine Buick 401 with the carb right between the bucket seats!! It is now sectioned 2.5 inches along with the chop with a 440 CID Buick nailhead up front where it belongs. I LOVE body mods, but that doesn't mean you do something stupid just to be different, like the mid engine thing. That was just stupid it was a freak show and got attention, but it was stupid.

My point was that to take a $8,000.00 five window coupe body and cut the back off to make an "extended cab" phantom makes no sense. If you did want this extended cab, you would take a $1,000.00 pick up cab (my brother just recently sold three of them for $500.00 to $1,200.00) and make it. The outcome would be basically the same.

Like I said, EVERTHING that could possibly be done has been, at least to a 32 Ford. You are sixteen, if you looked at a different rod magazine every day for three or four years you wouldn't have looked at as many as I have since I was your age. Believe me, 32 Fords are the most modified, hot rodded car EVER.

Sooooo, does that mean you couldn't do SOMETHING different, sure you could. If you are interested in this hobby, you will, I know that. In fact, you wouldn't have asked the question if you weren't on your way to being a car builder. My original point is you don't HAVE to do something "different" to be a stand out, not by a long shot.

The cars that will stop me in my tracks at a show invariably have lots of DETAIL, and few big mods. I can remember right now as I type this a couple of cars that did this. These cars begged you to examine every single square inch trying to understand what was done. They were full of tiny details like a body lines that where "softened". Or like on a 65 Mustang I saw once, the rear bumper was fitted flush to the body where they made the gaps from body to bumper only a quarter inch or so instead of the half inch from the factory. The body just flowed from quarter to bumper, with the bumper still chrome, it was very striking. The entire car was full of detail like that.

I am not knocking you, believe me. I am explaining my point of view, take it, use it or toss it, that is up to you. One day you could cut some car up and build a wild new style, that is very possible. Just do a lot of thinking and planning first, and don't do stupid just to be different.

Old 10-12-2004, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MARTINSR

I am not knocking you, believe me. I am explaining my point of view, take it, use it or toss it, that is up to you. One day you could cut some car up and build a wild new style, that is very possible. Just do a lot of thinking and planning first, and don't do stupid just to be different.
No i dont think ur knocking me. Not at all. I'll take ur advice and i already have. I totally agree with you that u dont HAVE to do something different to have a nice rod.

I thank you for ur advice too. I always take the advice of ppl that know more than me.

So thank you, BUT WHAT ABOUT THE 39 CHEVY
Old 10-18-2004, 09:15 AM

Last photo:

I thought you may like some talk on this very subject from another site. Check out the very cool silver truck and read the post desribing it's modifications. Stretching a cab thread (click here)

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.