Front end vibrates with acceleration - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2007, 08:50 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Front end vibrates with acceleration

I know this is not a hotrod, but I've posted questions in the past (long time ago) and it seemed to be alright.

'98 Subaru Forrester AWD

This started about 5 minutes into my ride home from work tonight, went on for about 15 minutes, stopped for 5 or 10, then started again, etc...

When I accelerate, the front end starts vibrating, the more I hit the gas, the more vibration. When I take my foot off the gas, it stops, regardless of what speed I'm going.

SideNote: about 2 weeks ago I got my oil changed and tires rotated at a Quick Lube joint, and I've noticed a slight pull to the right since then. Have no idea if that could be related, but thought I'd mention it just in case.

I realize I'll have to take this in to my mechanic, my question is, can I drive it to work tomorrow without doing further damage to whatever it is. If the symptoms are too vague for an answer, I understand. Just thought I'd throw it out there, as boss is NOT going to be happy with me if I call in tomorrow.

Thanks in advance for any info.
-Laura

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2007, 09:09 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

bad tire, or they knocked your allignment somehow.

get a new tire quick, when that stuff happens, most of the time it's a seperated belt which will find its way thru the tire eventully
Old 12-02-2007, 09:35 PM

I'd be a Happy Camper if that's all it is....

I also have this question posted on the Auto discussion forum of Craigslist. Someone just replied that since the vibrating is happening ONLY while I'm accelerating, that it cannot be tire related. Their reasoning is that the tire is still spinning when I'm not accelerating, therefore the vibration would continue after I took my foot off the gas. He says my transmission is probably shot.

Please, say it ain't so. I'm sick thinking about it. I've only had the thing 3 months, single mom, can't afford a new tranny. =(

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it greatly.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:41 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

torque can play that effect on a tire that is bad.. it's AWD, so it'll do it regardless of the front or rear... it's a bad tire, I'd almost gaurentee it.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:54 PM

Oh, I could KISS you! lol...

That makes me feel a lot better. I don't know much about cars, but his reasoning made enough sense that I was feeling pretty doomed.

I don't know what torque is, but you obviously do, and it sounds good to me!!

I'll get the tires checked out asap. Thank you SOOOO much.

-Laura
Old 12-03-2007, 03:24 AM

Last photo:

Tire sounds plausible, CV joints could be a second suspect, trans is probably pretty far down the list.
Old 12-03-2007, 04:37 AM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

My first thought is a bad tire...slipped belt. Second thought is cv joint going bad.
Old 12-03-2007, 04:44 AM

Last photo:

I once had a Fiat 128 that did the same thing. It was one of the CV joints in one of the front axles. Have them checked.
Hope this helps.

Antny
Old 12-03-2007, 06:22 AM

Thanks alot.....

I decided to skip work and err on the side of caution. I will take it somewhere and have the tires checked out.

Funny, I just took it out for about a ten minute drive, nothing. Whatever it is seems to come and go.

I appreciate all the input, you guys are great. I hadn't been to this site in a long time. Not sure what made me think of it last night, but I'm glad I did.

-Laura
Old 12-03-2007, 08:07 AM

Last photo:

That's another symptom of worn CV's. The vibration comes and goes as the needle bearings move around within their cups. Good idea to get this checked out. Let us know what you find.

Antny
Old 12-03-2007, 10:02 AM

ahhh... I wondered about that

Is that something that can be seen w/o taking off the tires? I was thinking about swinging it by a friends house so he could confirm or rule that out, but if it's a pain in the butt to get to, I 'll just take it straight on to the mechanic.

My mechanic HATES Subarus and does what he can to avoid them, so I'm guessing he may have to order the part. If I could give him the heads up a day ahead that would be helpful.

Thanks again, and I will come back and let you know the outcome.

-Laura
Old 12-03-2007, 10:30 AM

Last photo:

A quick test is to jack up the front end so one of the front tires is off the ground. With the transmission in gear, try to rotate the wheel forward/backward to gauge how much slop exists. If there is slop (wheel rotates more than a half-inch or so), or if you hear clicking noise, then the CV joint is probably bad. Could be a bearing too. Test each side.

Hope this helps.

Antny
Old 12-03-2007, 11:21 AM

Taking it in

I realized last night that I have no jack or lug-wrench. I bought this from my parents so I never thought to check...the same parents who have nagged me for years about having the proper equipment in my car, lol..

Anyway, I just got off the phone w/ my mechanic. I'm going to bring it in this afternoon and he'll check the CV joint to see if it's bad.

He did say something about not liking to do the CV joint w/o doing(replacing?) the axle. Would this make sense. I have no reason to dispute what he says as he's always been fair with me, a pretty decent guy. Just wondering what your thoughts on that were.

Thanks again, I sure appreciate all the insight!

-Laura
Old 12-03-2007, 04:28 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraorla
I realized last night that I have no jack or lug-wrench. I bought this from my parents so I never thought to check...the same parents who have nagged me for years about having the proper equipment in my car, lol..

Anyway, I just got off the phone w/ my mechanic. I'm going to bring it in this afternoon and he'll check the CV joint to see if it's bad.

He did say something about not liking to do the CV joint w/o doing(replacing?) the axle. Would this make sense. I have no reason to dispute what he says as he's always been fair with me, a pretty decent guy. Just wondering what your thoughts on that were.

Thanks again, I sure appreciate all the insight!

-Laura
It probably does make sense to replace the entire axle. Once it's apart, might as well renew it for a few extra bucks. Assuming your problem is the CV joint, that is.

Antny
Old 12-03-2007, 04:44 PM
Viva la Migra!!

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraorla
My mechanic HATES Subarus and does what he can to avoid them,

-Laura
Hi , I see you have already gotten some really good advice but I still want to add 1 small thing to consider. While I'm certain you have your reasons for using your particular mechanic , if he does in fact hate subarus , as you stated - you might want to look for one who likes them . I wouldn't use a plumber that hated what he was doing , but that's just me...
Best of luck finding/fixing your car !

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.