Front end wobble and steering wheel shake - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2009, 06:54 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Front end wobble and steering wheel shake

Hi all.
I have a 2000 GMC sierra 4x4. Rims are 16x10 with 265/75 BFG all terrains.
The problem, which comes and goes is a violent wobble in the front end which makes the steering wheel shake left and right. This only happens when I go over certain roads and poorly maintained roads in town. It happens at about 45-60 mph. Ive been thinking shocks, tie rods, hubs..?? I have tried wheel balancing several times with no luck.. Haven't had it aligned in about 2 years.. But it seemed to really start after I took it off road a few months back.. Any help would be greatly appreciated.. Dont wana get ripped off by the local places, cuz im not too keen on what causes this particular problem.. Thanks in advance,

Ryan

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2009, 08:13 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85CHEVY
Hi all.
I have a 2000 GMC sierra 4x4. Rims are 16x10 with 265/75 BFG all terrains.
The problem, which comes and goes is a violent wobble in the front end which makes the steering wheel shake left and right. This only happens when I go over certain roads and poorly maintained roads in town. It happens at about 45-60 mph. Ive been thinking shocks, tie rods, hubs..?? I have tried wheel balancing several times with no luck.. Haven't had it aligned in about 2 years.. But it seemed to really start after I took it off road a few months back.. Any help would be greatly appreciated.. Dont wana get ripped off by the local places, cuz im not too keen on what causes this particular problem.. Thanks in advance,

Ryan
Your front steering and suspension should be checked. If you have worn components (ie tie rods, shocks, hubs, etc.) and if they are out of specification, they should be replaced.

If there has been a lift kit installed, often steering geometry would be changed so the appropriate parts would need to be changed followed by a proper alignment.

If your steering has a steering stabilizer (like a shock made specifically for your steering) and it has leaked or no longer functions properly, it should be replaced.

Without looking at the vehicle and getting the measurements from your front end, it sounds like your caster (one of the three main measurements in an alignment) is off. The caster setting in your vehicle assists with your steering's stability. Caster is what allows you to ride a bicycle without your hands. For a more detailed information on your vehicle's alignment, check out "howstuffworks.com". If the measurements are off by a fraction of an inch, you will feel it or wear parts prematurely. If you are not doing the alignment on your vehicle yourself, I would recommend you take it for an alignment to a reputable place.

best of luck
Old 03-09-2009, 08:31 PM

Thankyou. I am taking it tomorrow morning and they are doing an inspection.. I just have trouble trusting shops, but this one has been around forever and they seem reliable.. They did my alignment the last time.. But the cost of these components is freaking me out.. Im hoping its just shocks and alignment. It has 135k on it and the original shocks, so I know that might be part of the problem.. I just dont want to have to do the hubs because those are like $200 a side installed. (According to them). haha
Old 03-10-2009, 07:29 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85CHEVY
Thankyou. I am taking it tomorrow morning and they are doing an inspection.. I just have trouble trusting shops, but this one has been around forever and they seem reliable.. They did my alignment the last time.. But the cost of these components is freaking me out.. Im hoping its just shocks and alignment. It has 135k on it and the original shocks, so I know that might be part of the problem.. I just dont want to have to do the hubs because those are like $200 a side installed. (According to them). haha
If you would like things to last, you will need to baby the vehicle. If you take the truck off-roading or even over a rougher road, prepare for things to break. With 135K miles, shocks, hub assemblies, alignments, brakes, and other issues are not out of the question. There was a time... not very long ago... where 60,000 miles on a vehicle was considered a high mileage vehicle and an engine rebuild was recommended.

My recommendation is if you find a shop that you trust, treat them well... they will see what is wrong and will fix it (if you let them). Generally, the less you drive a vehicle, the less money you have to put in a vehicle... and if you get rid of the vehicle, you wont have to put anything into it. But if you drive them, budget for maintenance and you can enjoy your vehicles for a long time!

best of luck

Last edited by low budget rodder; 03-10-2009 at 07:35 AM.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.