Front Engine Mount for 350 Chev - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2006, 09:18 PM
NZ Nev

Last journal entry: Lower seat belt support
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Front Engine Mount for 350 Chev

Help required on a Chevy 350 front mount bracket. A few months ago I saw a 32 ford coup with the engine mounted to a plate around the crank-shaft pulley. Does anyone know if there is a template around for this type of mounting?
This would solve the steering box problem I have with the clearance to the starter motor as we are Left hand drive.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2006, 09:49 PM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

I don't know of a template, but you're referring to an engine mount plate. Jeg's and Summit should have them. These plates are normally bolted directly to the chassis with no rubber mounts, but it would be easy enough to weld or bolt an angle bracket to them and use a rubber cushion between the frame and plate. I've seen that done before. There is to much vibration in a solid mount for a street car.
Old 05-30-2006, 03:57 AM
NZ Nev

Last photo:

Front Engine Mount for 350 Chev

Thanks for the reply. I am after a photo or dimensions so I can make the mounting plate as I'm from New Zealand and we don't have Jeg's and Summit here.
Old 05-30-2006, 04:32 AM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

Well, I can get you on a good start, but don't have dimensions. The plate bolts between the front of the block and timing cover. Strip the front of an old block then make a cardboard template. Cut out all openings and drill all bolt holes. You might need some longer bolts, but the plate can be 1/8" thick if it's made of steel. Bend a 1" lip 90 degrees forward along the bottom edge where it extends beyond the engine (on the sides where it sits on the frame). You can put rubber mounts on the lip, but gusset it on both sides of the bolt holes if you do. Make sure the timing gears fit correctly. You will likely have to cut out an odd shaped area where the timing gears and chain ride. Just put a very thin coat of sealant on the back side of the plate and bolt it on. I'd use a brush or spray on sealant, something like "Indian Head" brand gasket shellac (probably can't get that over there either...). Put the water pump and timing cover gaskets on the front.

To make sure the plate doesn't shift after in stalling, I'd install a couple short 1/4" bolts in the front of the block. Drill and tap any flate area. If you hit a water jacket or even an oil passage just make sure you use sealant on the bolts and that they are just long enough to go through. Those bolts aren't carrying the weight of the plate, all the timing cover and water pump bolts are. There's are enough of them you don't have to worry about load, but make sure you drill them the correct size and accurately. You can make the sides of the plate as long as needed.

This link has several different designs: http://www.martelbrothers.com/catalo...-1-c-1530.html

Last edited by farna; 05-30-2006 at 04:43 AM.
Old 05-30-2006, 04:50 AM

Last photo:

1955-57 Chevies mounted off of those four lower bolt holes. The two brackets angled front and sat on rubber mounts that were on long bolts that went straight down to the crossmember below. It is kind of like an anti sway bar mount. Be careful of the one bolt hole that goes through into the fuel pump push rod. If using a flat plate and the original fuel pump be sure that they clear each other. Search the web for restoration pictures of a tri five Chevy and you'll see how small it is. Have fun,yekoms
Old 05-30-2006, 11:50 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/xq/asp...qx/Product.htm

Click on the above link ...
$49.95 from Speedway ... and they ship world wide ...

Old 05-31-2006, 03:23 AM
NZ Nev

Last photo:

Front Engine mount

Thanks for all the info the photo was great. Now I can get the measurements from my engine and make one.
Old 05-31-2006, 05:21 AM
Last photo:

Personally I would not use or fabricate a front engine mount that uses the timing cover bolts to mount it. There is no reason to do such a thing. The four mounting holes Chevy provided are more than adequate for the job.

Vince
Old 05-31-2006, 10:06 AM

sbc350

are u asking about the mounts that bolt to the engine if so i have a set on my project engine that im not gonna use
Old 03-24-2012, 08:18 PM

Anyone have a pic of a 41-48 chevy car with a 350

Im looking for a pic of some front engine mounts on a 41-48 Chevy car that work!
I bought some from Chevsofthe40s but they are way to tall! I used a transmission crossmember from chassis engineering. To get the intake level I would have to put a 3 inch spacer on the transmission mount. Just wondering how other folks have done this without going to a M11 suspension.
http://i534.photobucket.com/albums/e...t/3090FAA8.jpg
http://i534.photobucket.com/albums/e...t/0D2958CE.jpg
http://i534.photobucket.com/albums/e...t/71BBC3F7.jpg

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.