Hot Rod Forum banner

Front face of tire dismounted from wheel while cruising !!!!!!!!

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  1ownerT 
#1 ·
Hi guys !

I have a 1987 Vette with 17" wheels

Yesterday i wanted to take out the vette but ...something told me not...so i stayed home i felt a bad vibe......
So i went today in the morning and damn,the rear tire was flat.-

i went to the shop and bought a cheap-*** compressor which didn't help in anything and i returned it,went to another shop and bought a better one which didn't help either.-

The tire was not 100% flat so,i drove 3 blocks to the tire shop and then they repaired it,the air was going thru the lip ...those wheels were not so perfect but ...i bought them at a great deal here .-

I went to the gas station to refill her and i met with a very good friend of mine which really wanted to test drive it, he had a Mazda RX8 and a brand new Toyota yaris and a Citroen C5 ,well he fell in love with the 87 but while we were cruising i heard another noise apart of the engine one (i have an excellent ear) and some guy in a van was like a madman
with the horn and they told us .."your front wheel is flat " so we stepped aside....and damn.....the tire (outer face only) dismounted from the wheel !!!!!

WHY OR HOW ????? I DON'T KNOW

2 Tire problems in a day ? the last i did last week when i garaged it
was..went to the station and made the 4 tires lose some air
and put them at 28 psi,maybe im really really wrong but im new at 17" wheels and maybe they need more .....

Lucky me..the tire dismounted on the front only so the wheel was still cruising on the tire,it never touched the street !!!!

I think it all happened because in the fronts 17x9.5 im running
255/45/ZR17 Which is skinnier than it has to be,( i need 275's ) in fact it looks like that...so,maybe losing the air made it less tighter and it dismounted !!! thank god ...we were cruising really slow !!!

I Have everything on the back,jack,gloves,a mechanic's overall
and the stock nut remover,but no spare tire ... so when i was in mechanic's wear...i removed it ....-

He picked up his Toyota which was near ..and took the bad wheel to the tire shop and they remounted it and its OK now...but i put
38 PSI cold in all of them...

Any advice or not to do or what to do ...????
i think i was an idiot trying to run with 28 PSI with this kinda wheels / tires combo

This is what happened : OUCH !

SOMEHOW THE WHEEL NEVER NEVER TOUCHED THE STREET !!!!

The only cause i could think its the low 28-30 tire pressure i gave to all the tires before garaging it .-
I had Rear and Front tire issues after that ...the same day ! ! !

What you think? have you experienced something like that ?

See less See more
#7 ·
techinspector1 said:
Sounds to me as you have identified the problem as being a tire that is too narrow for the wheel. Buy wider tires or narrower wheels.
Yup..Wrong size tire and not enough air pressure will do it every time..Guess we know someone who is off to see the tire guy..

Sam

#8 ·
Your 255/45/17 is fine on a 9.5" wheel. It is in the recommended range of 8"-9.5" wheel.

I would not follow the advise of running 5 psi under the max. inflation pressure on the side wall, unless you are loading the tire near it's max. capacity. I believe you had a case of low tire pressure and the bead unseated.
The wheels look like OE's, what is the recommended pressure? should be a sticker on the door.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.