Front Fender Braces on a Model A with Heidts FE - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2011, 11:32 AM
29ster

Last journal entry: Rear suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Front Fender Braces on a Model A with Heidts FE

Anybody have a good picture of the modifications needed of the front fender braces for a Model A with a Heidts independent Suspension? Also, my front fenders seem to rub slightly on the front upper control arm. Is this normal or is it because I don't yet have the fenders supported. Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2011, 11:54 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
Anybody have a good picture of the modifications needed of the front fender braces for a Model A with a Heidts independent Suspension? Also, my front fenders seem to rub slightly on the front upper control arm. Is this normal or is it because I don't yet have the fenders supported. Thanks
This isn't a Heidt's but TCI. The brace mods are about the same though:

Can't help you on fender to 'A' arm interference though

Dave W
Old 01-25-2011, 12:02 PM
29ster

Last photo:

Hmmm

Thanks for the shots, I have the stamped steel braces (looks u shaped) and if I bolt them to the frame where they belong, they pass right by (directly in front of and in the way) where the control arm bolts through the upper pivot. Not between the arm and the fender, in fact nothing can fit between the arm and the fender. I would need to jog the brace appoximately 1.5" forward to clear. I'll take some pics tonight and post.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:38 PM
62 Vette L-98 TPI & ZF 6 speed

Last photo:

Not sure about Heidts, but with OEM MII arms my 31c fenders required an added "lump" for additional clearance around the upper A arm pivot area.

Russ
Old 02-01-2011, 06:38 AM
29ster

Last photo:

Mustang II vs Heidts FE in a Model A and Fender Braces

I removed a MII front end in this car which I had used for years and never needed to bubble the fenders for the arms. I had the front end really low which require adjusting camber way out to compensate for the upper arms pointing upwards. This was one of the many reasons I removed this suspension. MIIs are not really a great front end for a Model A with the front rack, wide stance, etc. I used narrowed arms and lowered spindles to compensate but could never get past the look of the front rack. The Heidts unit I'm installing now is all stainless and rear rack but the upper front arms seem to barely touch the fenders (as I mock it up) and the stamped steel fender braces bolt on right where the arm pivots. I am using the stamped steel u shaped versions but I also have a set of cast iron rod type and they also interfere. Every idea I have to modify the braces tend to look hooky to me and I was hoping someone really creative had a solution. Maybe a nice aluminum brace with holes like an aircraft strut piece or something....
Old 02-01-2011, 06:51 AM

What I show above are the stamped steel - and IMHO, do not look hokie. It does take several hours on each to do a clean job. The cast versions are 28-29 and wont work on a '30-'31 without significant mods. A very few early production '30's did have the cast braces, but none are being reproduced as far as I could find when I built my car and used ones - can we think scarcer then hen's teeth.

Waiting for your pictures too

Dave W
Old 02-01-2011, 06:52 AM
29ster

Last photo:

Bumber bolts?

Dave, what's up with the bumper mount bolts? I'm thinking of just filling mine but it looks as though yours are there for a reason?
Old 02-01-2011, 07:16 AM
29ster

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelands child
What I show above are the stamped steel - and IMHO, do not look hokie. It does take several hours on each to do a clean job. The cast versions are 28-29 and wont work on a '30-'31 without significant mods. A very few early production '30's did have the cast braces, but none are being reproduced as far as I could find when I built my car and used ones - can we think scarcer then hen's teeth.

Waiting for your pictures too

Dave W
Dave, sorry did not mean to say yours looked hookey... I have a 29 which use a U shaped fender brace or cast brace and I meant that modifying those types to jig jag around the arm would look hookey... Too cold to work out there now, snow everywhere here in the east but I'll get the pics together soon. Thanks
Old 02-01-2011, 07:18 AM

The radiator splash shield bolts to them and are there if I ever decide to install the nerf bars I have

Old 02-01-2011, 07:19 AM
29ster

Last photo:

pics in work
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	29 new.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	52189   Click image for larger version

Name:	29 dash.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	52190   Click image for larger version

Name:	29 windshield.jpg
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	52191   Click image for larger version

Name:	new doors 2.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	52192   Click image for larger version

Name:	29 stretch.jpg
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	52193  

Old 02-01-2011, 07:22 AM
29ster

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelands child
The radiator splash shield bolts to them and are there if I ever decide to install the nerf bars I have

I see, the apron on my 29 bolts down from the top through the hood shelves. I'd like to see the nerfs when you get them on. I have a bumper I removed but I'm considering no bumper this time
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	29 was.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	52194  
Old 02-01-2011, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
Dave, sorry did not mean to say yours looked hookey... I have a 29 which use a U shaped fender brace or cast brace and I meant that modifying those types to jig jag around the arm would look hookey... Too cold to work out there now, snow everywhere here in the east but I'll get the pics together soon. Thanks
Not a problem - and I have seen some that didn't have a lot of thought in making the mods.

Cold and snow- it's 9* here with 12-18+/- inches of snow due by late tomorrow afternoon. I just plugged in the diesel tractor snow blower crankcase heater so I could bring it up the hill and out of the back of the house.

Those other photos - great start

Dave W
Old 02-01-2011, 08:07 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

heidt's susp.

I want to build a new chassis for my 29 roadster, I bought it as an unfinished roller, , and a tired 302, Hiedt at that time said he did not build a suspension that would clear the fenders, because the geometry would be wrong if the upper A arm mounts were lowered. They still don't list a kit for fendered A's or 32's
Old 02-01-2011, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothale
I want to build a new chassis for my 29 roadster, I bought it as an unfinished roller, , and a tired 302, Hiedt at that time said he did not build a suspension that would clear the fenders, because the geometry would be wrong if the upper A arm mounts were lowered. They still don't list a kit for fendered A's or 32's

Interesting - since I have seen several 'A's with Heidts. I do know Fatman wont build an 'A' or '32 IFS

There is always TCI - and mine sure works fine regardless of the fact that they supplied the wrong springs (150# corrected for the 13* angle) instead of the 300# that I needed
Old 02-01-2011, 09:11 AM
29ster

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothale
I bought a Super Ride with the narrowed arms from Heidts and it is for a full fender Model A. Notice below it says it is designed to clear the fenders.

BX-101 - Model A Ford
BS-006-N - Narrowed Polished Stainless Steel Control Arms

Independent Front Suspension gives you twice the ride of a new 4- link dropped axle at a comparable cost. It adds more cash value to your car than any other type of suspension. And with HEIDTS engineering you get an unmatched, correct, safe ride. HEIDTS SUPERIDE complete system is perfect for the ultimate stance!

“Smooth” describes the ride: very low and highly steerable with no bumpsteer and built-in anti-dive. Installing the one piece crossmember is an easy one-step operation. The upper control arms are designed to clear the fenders. The 56” hub to hub tread width gives you the narrow look without any tire to fender clearance problems.

HEIDTS EXCLUSIVE SUPERIDE SPINDLE

This is not a Mustang dropped spindle. HEIDTS has designed its own one piece spindle specifically for the SUPERIDE. So, now you can get the lowest ride available that’s tops in looks and safety! It’s clean and trim adding to the high tech appearance you want for your front end. For peace of mind we’ve made it out of 1045 heat treated alloy steel.

SUPERIDE IS NOT A MUSTANG II CONVERSION KIT!

Because SUPERIDE Front Suspensions are designed as a complete system, the individual components are not interchangeable with any other stock pieces. Every piece was designed specifically by HEIDTS for the SUPERIDE system. It’s your assurance of the right geometry, the right fit, and of course — a super ride! PROUDLY MADE IN THE USA!

HERE'S WHAT YOU GET :

Main crossmember T.I.G. welded for maximum strength and great looks.
Our exclusive one piece SUPERIDE spindles.
Polished billet calipers.
4 1/2”, 4 3/4”, and 5” bolt pattern.
Adjustable billet coil-over shocks with chrome springs.
Rear-mount rack & pinion steering.
Stainless steel adjusters with urethane bushings.
Factory ball joints and tie rod ends.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.