Front motor plate without a mid-plate? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2004, 11:00 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Front motor plate without a mid-plate?

I need help on getting a definitive answer on the following. Basically can I run a front motor plate only without a mid-plate? Some people have told me yes some no. I have a 69 pro street Camaro (BBC) that currently has a front plate and mid-plate and trans mount, the problem is that I cannot change the oil filter without great difficulty. I have to loosen the giant Hedman hustler 2 1/4 ď headers from the head (flanges have been individual cut for each exhaust port connection) and then remove the collector to push the pipes out of the way and even then itís a very tight fit. My option is to run a remote oil filter re-location set up but is that really a good idea or can I remove the mid-plate. This is mostly a street driven car with close to 700 horse power. I found all this out after buying the car.

Thanks in advance to any responses.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2004, 11:07 PM

Last photo:

I ran my Demon for years and years with only elephant ears on the front. No midplate.
Old 01-08-2004, 11:17 PM

Last photo:

With the horsepower your putting out I'd go with the remote filter setup. It's a quick easy fix and they work well.
Old 01-09-2004, 05:09 AM

Last photo:

if you are running a transmission mount you can do away with the mid plate all together. im running a 600+ Hp BBC with a front plate and trannymount, and i love all the room i have for lines, headers and so on. 3 rigid mounts will actually put a bigger strain on your engine/tranny connection than 2 will.
Old 01-09-2004, 05:33 AM
STUPID is as STUPID does...

Last wiki edit: Crankshaft Coalition Wiki Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

What transmission are you running? It's not recommended to hang the motor & trans off the front and rear mounts when running an automatic. I had to put sidemounts in my '56 because the bell housing on the th400 kept cracking. I was told this was due to using the front pancake mounts and the span was to great. After I put in the side mounts I never had a problem... Just something to think about.
Mark
Old 01-09-2004, 06:59 PM
MoPar Member

Mid Plate is nice but not mandatory. I run a Super Gas Duster and have never had a problem. The car has over 5 seasons on the drive train with only a yearly freshen up.

'cudabob
Old 01-10-2004, 07:13 AM

Last photo:

if you bring out the calculator the strain on the transmission bellhousing really isnt that big, if you only take the engine and transmission weight into account. but if your engine isnt very well balanced the oscilating movement will result in cracke from metal fatigue relatively quickly in the aluminum. and once a crack has formed, it will spread quickly
Old 12-11-2011, 11:29 AM

Oil filter

Have you thought about maybe installing a remote oil filter? You can put them someplace convenient to get at and you can use more than one in series.
Old 12-11-2011, 02:58 PM
boatbob2

hi.......

Hi,remote oli filter is the only way to go,i use the adapter that uses 2 filters...
Old 12-12-2011, 01:10 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by astroracer
What transmission are you running? It's not recommended to hang the motor & trans off the front and rear mounts when running an automatic. I had to put sidemounts in my '56 because the bell housing on the th400 kept cracking. I was told this was due to using the front pancake mounts and the span was to great. After I put in the side mounts I never had a problem... Just something to think about.
Mark
Curious; was the transmission solid or poly mounted? My bet is solid?
Old 12-12-2011, 08:14 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steam Roller
I need help on getting a definitive answer on the following. Basically can I run a front motor plate only without a mid-plate? Some people have told me yes some no. I have a 69 pro street Camaro (BBC) that currently has a front plate and mid-plate and trans mount, the problem is that I cannot change the oil filter without great difficulty. I have to loosen the giant Hedman hustler 2 1/4 ? headers from the head (flanges have been individual cut for each exhaust port connection) and then remove the collector to push the pipes out of the way and even then it?s a very tight fit. My option is to run a remote oil filter re-location set up but is that really a good idea or can I remove the mid-plate. This is mostly a street driven car with close to 700 horse power. I found all this out after buying the car.

Thanks in advance to any responses.
I prefer a mid plate. The engine and transmission makes a pretty long assembly that wants to sag in the middle putting a bending moment on everything. As has been mentioned, use a remote filter.

Bogie
Old 12-13-2011, 09:33 AM
Banned User

Last photo:

i'll try to find where i read that not using a mid-plate (i don't like them either) puts strain on the trans tailmount. i think not using a mid-plate is do-able though with a smallblock. i think i would want to use one with a BB and hi-power though. Can you provide a picture of the situation?

2) Speaking of mid-plates. They lengthen the distance between the trans and engine----thus the converter is actually 1/8" (or however thick the plate is) further out of the input shaft. Is this okay?
Old 12-13-2011, 09:52 AM

I run a 69 Camaro Pro Street bbc (502) with front plate only. 10 years now with no issues. I don't baby it either.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:56 AM

Last photo:

I would run the midplate. run washers behind flywheel the same size as the midplate for the converter

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.