Front and Rear Axle issue - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2010, 07:09 AM
car enthusiast

Last journal entry: Future Build: 1927 Dodge 5 window coupe
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Front and Rear Axle issue

I ran into a small problem today which i hadn't really paid much attention too. I measured my lug spacing on the front and rear axles and found they are different. My front lug spacing is 5 lug on 5.5" spacing, and my rear axles are 5 lug on 5.0" spacing. I am not sure what to do here, should i just find rims that will fit and call it good, or should i replace the front or rear? What would you do in this situation? The rear ford 9" is off of a 77 ford truck and the front axles are from 1947.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2010, 07:26 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

ford truck rear

Most ford truck rears were 5 X 5.5 ,the same as the 48 and earlier rear. There were very few ford pickups made with pass size bolt patern 5 X 4.5, they were building a light duty pickup and tried to get pass car ride for people that ran empty most of the time. With emission standards that went by GVW it was cheaper to build the F150 with heavier springs shocks tires and not have to do the emission add ons You should be able to find a pickup rear end to bolt in with the patern you need. ..5 X 5 was used on biger ford, linc, merc, cars.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:36 AM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:

Go to Early Wheel or email Jason at jason@bearmetalkustoms.com for all your wheel needs. I have purchased from Jason several times and the turn around is excellent. Quality is excellent. Good guy to deal with. Very fair pricing.

He may even have the wheels you need with the centers having both lug patterns so that the wheels will fit on either end.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:53 AM
car enthusiast

Last photo:

Thanks for the link frisco........Looks like i will be using a wheel adapter on the rear axle. This will allow me to go from a 5 on 5 to a 5 on 5.5......
Old 10-13-2010, 09:19 AM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwheels1
Thanks for the link frisco........Looks like i will be using a wheel adapter on the rear axle. This will allow me to go from a 5 on 5 to a 5 on 5.5......
Check before you buy a wheel adapter. Some are unsafe (billet is preferred over the cast aluminum). Some do not center the wheel correctly causing wheel runout and out of balance condition. They all will cause the tires to be more outboard than previously. None are allowed in drag racing. It is much safer and wiser to get a wheel with the correct bolt pattern.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:22 AM
wannabe fabricator

Last photo:

I run a set of chrome smoothies with a 4.5 and 4.75 pattern on each wheel. Ford 9 inch rear and firebird front clip.

Chrome 15x8's with 5x5 and 5x5.5

I run 56 chevy caps on mine but wheel vintiques has a bunch of ford caps to choose from. Call them to ask if they will fit the smoothie wheels.

Here
Old 10-13-2010, 11:01 AM
car enthusiast

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisco
Check before you buy a wheel adapter. Some are unsafe (billet is preferred over the cast aluminum). Some do not center the wheel correctly causing wheel runout and out of balance condition. They all will cause the tires to be more outboard than previously. None are allowed in drag racing. It is much safer and wiser to get a wheel with the correct bolt pattern.
Thanks for the heads up on the adapters. I knew there were some crappy ones out there, but i wasn't sure which ones. I will be buying billets. The only axle i am looking at doing is the rear axle. Since the front is a suicide front, i figure adapters would be really abused up there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanoldfarmtruck
I run a set of chrome smoothies with a 4.5 and 4.75 pattern on each wheel. Ford 9 inch rear and firebird front clip.

Chrome 15x8's with 5x5 and 5x5.5

I run 56 chevy caps on mine but wheel vintiques has a bunch of ford caps to choose from. Call them to ask if they will fit the smoothie wheels.
Thats a great idea man. I will give it some serious thought. I am still debating on wheel type, once i get that figured out, i will make a decision. I was just worried about having to redo either the front or the rear axle for matching wheels. Now i know i have options.

Thanks guys.
Old 10-13-2010, 11:36 AM
wannabe fabricator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwheels1
Thanks for the heads up on the adapters. I knew there were some crappy ones out there, but i wasn't sure which ones. I will be buying billets. The only axle i am looking at doing is the rear axle. Since the front is a suicide front, i figure adapters would be really abused up there.

Thats a great idea man. I will give it some serious thought. I am still debating on wheel type, once i get that figured out, i will make a decision. I was just worried about having to redo either the front or the rear axle for matching wheels. Now i know i have options.

Thanks guys.
Yeah i had no clue on what you are doing for wheels. I needed 14x6 for the front and 15x8 for the rear. That wheel style was the only one with the right backspace and the different bolt patterns for reasonable $$$$. Watch for rust though. Mine have a few little spots. Powdercoating may be my next step.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.