Hot Rod Forum banner

Front & Rear end swap ?

1K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  BrainWashed 
#1 ·
Hello to everyone, I have a 97 silverado 1500 extended cab with 3.73s on a 14 bolt 6 lug rear end. The spider gears got damaged, the cause was a half-*** job by previous owner. Times are bad so its hard for me to buy a new spider gear kit for it since i'm unemployed. Luckily I have a brother who is about to junk a 96 gmc 3500. I've removed both front and rear ends with everything even the sway bar. It has 4.10s on a 14 bolt 8 lug rear end. Is it a good idea to swap this ends. If it is will it put any stress onto the tranny since its different in size and weight compared to the stock ones. This is my first truck ever so any little help I can get will be highly appreciated. THANKS

#4 ·
Using an online calculator I see with the same size tires at 1000 RPM's you will be running about 2 MPH slower with the 4.10 gears, 2000 RPM's will be a 4 MPH difference, and at 3000 RPM's there is a 7 MPH difference.

The calculations were run with the same tire size (I chose 235/85/16), and transmission overdrive ratio of .70 to 1, but there was a steady change in difference the faster you go in engine RPM's. This shouldn't cause any driveability problems.

The weight difference between the stock axles in your truck and the heavy duty ones are equal to either having a good size friend in the passenger seat of not.

The only real problems I can forsee are the front shafts not being the same where they bolt to the center section (I'm just not sure), and the universal joints needing swapped for conversion joints for both the front and read driveshafts where they connect to the pinions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.