Hot Rod Forum banner

front/rear suspension

937 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  trees 
#1 ·
I've read through some older posts and am just looking for some clarification if I could. 48 Chevy pickup w/sbc.

1. I got a front end kit (rotors, calipers, springs, etc.) from Yogis and they recommended 350# springs. Are these going to be too stiff for this application? They had 4 cyl. springs without a/c and the next step up were the ones I got.

2. On the rear I need to add shocks. To determine the proper length of the shock do I unload the suspension and measure for the extended length of the shock? Will welding the new crossmember to the frame without boxing it be strong enough?

3. Do I have to run a bolt up through the leafs into the lowering blocks?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Barry

#2 ·
On the springs..if anything they may be a bit on the lite side..hard to say till you actually try them on the road..I am running some 300/450 progressives on the front of a roadster..

One the rear shock mount with the suspension at ride height place the shock mount so the shock is centered in its travel..and make the shock as vertical as possible and as far outboard as you can get it..

You will need a bolt in the center it serves to maintain the location of the rear on the spring..it does not need to "bolt the lowering block" tho I can see where that would be a good idea to do..Be kinda embarassing for those blocks to fall out on the road somewhere..

OMT

#3 ·
The cross member manufacturer should have told you what to do in the form of INSTRUCTIONS. If not, I would box at least 1 foot forward and 6 inches past where the strut rod is mounted to the frame (if used) I have yet seen a cross member kit that did not require some boxing in open channel frames.

Trees

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.