front rotor question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2009, 07:53 PM

Last journal entry: Motor build up 2
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

front rotor question

Hey guys i got a hand me down front disc brake kit if u will. The story goes my father in law bought a set for his 1948 ford pick up and decided to go with an Ifs kit that came with everything so when i got my 1949 pick up he gave me the kit. The kit look good but the problem is i have a nice set of wheels and tires when i got the truck and would like to use them again but bolt patteren is diffrent. Question is this should i use addapters or should i find new front rotors. The wheels are 5 an a half and the rotors are 4 an a half
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2009, 08:02 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

My my personal deal ... but I would get the rotors for a 5 on 1/2 pattern. That way the front rims will match the rears and you do not have to BUY new rims.

By the Way ...

A 57 to mid 60's F-100 rear end ( which is a 9 inch Ford series ) is almost a direct bolt in in a 48 to 50 F-1. The advantage of the later rear is vastly stronger rear end, better availability of brake parts and passenger car center sections bolt in the pickup housing ... ( giving you a more HIGHWAY speed friendly rear ratio ).

"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "

Old 09-16-2009, 08:11 PM

Last photo:

thanks it came with a 9 inch from a gallaxy. Any clue were i could get some rotors that wont cost the price of a new kit lol
Old 09-16-2009, 10:31 PM

Last photo:

49, I'm running the disc brake conversion on my 56 F100. I have the 5.5 lug pattern as well on front and rear. Try contacting Classic Performance Products. They have a website as well. They may sell you just the rotor or let you know where you can get one, that's the kit I purchased. Another place to check is ECI brakes, they have conversion kits as well and mpbrakes.com another source. My opinion, it would be better to get the right rotor with lug pattern than to use an adapter. Adapters will also change the offset on you rims and tires, which you need to consider for clearance.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:48 PM
More for Less Racer

Just get the rotors redrilled, almost any machine shop could do it or you could send them to Moser Engineering or Dutchman Axles. Strange or Mark Williams might also do this.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:24 AM

Last photo:

Eric has some good advice. I was going to go the same route but found that a machine shop wanted more to drill the rotors out and put new lugs in than if I just purchased a new rotor. I know a friend of mine had put disc on the rear of his car and he was running a 9 in Ford rear end. The lug pattern was 4.5 and not the 5.5. We got a set of axle with the 5.5 lug pattern and simply drilled out. using a drill press at home, the rotor to a 5.5 pattern. The front is a little different because the lugs are pressed into the rotor and don't slide on like the rears. Since the front is more critical than the rear for driveability and safety, I would probably get the work done with a machine shop rather than doing it yourself in the garage.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:52 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

IF you already have the Galaxie 9 inch ... ( it has the 5 on 4.5 pattern ) ... and plan on using it under the pickup ... Then by all means use rotors with the 5 on 4.5 pattern. I just hate having a vehicle with two different wheel bolt patterns ( requires two spares ).

"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "

Old 09-17-2009, 02:26 PM

Last photo:

deuce i agree with u. Two diffrent bolt patterns ar not fun. I think ive found some rotors at lmc if not ill be checking with moser eng. They seem decent to redrill. Thanks guys for all the help

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.