Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Front shocks 51 Styleline
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2012, 02:13 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Lower shock mounts

These apparently fail frequently as per 2 parts houses. One supplier told me most buyers get 3-4 at a time. The obvious solution to me was to build a better mouse trap. I'm sure I am not the first person to figure this out. I had the broken tab tack welded in place and then had them add a reinforcing piece of steel in the bottom side of the mounting bracket. That necessitated driving the small mounting stud out of the lower suspension arm. I replaced that with a 1" x 3/8" bolt and used a compression nut. The fit was perfect, and there is plenty of room to use a wrench on the bolt head. I don't think these mounts will fail. The car rides fine and the shocks mount just as before. Spraying some PB Blaster on the studs and letting it sit over night made them very easy to tap out. Put a nut flush to the edge of the stud if you don't want to ruin it in the removal process. A few light taps with a heavy ball pean hammer took them both out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	frt shock mount 1.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	163.5 KB
ID:	66440   Click image for larger version

Name:	welded mount top.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	192.7 KB
ID:	66441   Click image for larger version

Name:	welded mnt. 2.JPG
Views:	37