Anyone familiar with the proper installation of front shock lower mounts on 49-54 Chevy? Also, has anyone successfully modified the mount as they are really thin around the locking bolt and snap off pretty easily? I am thinking of driving out the locking stud to replace with a bolt, and the reinforce the flimsy edge of the shock retainer. Do these retainers bottom out under the a-arm, or slip over it to have resistance against downward pressure on the front of the car?
06-25-2012 09:31 PM
These shock mounts have a lip that goes into the hole in the lower control arm. The lip is opposite of the hole for the stud. Test fit the mount without the shock attached. It'll be very apparent when it's going in correctly.
06-26-2012 10:03 AM
I'm aware of how the lip fits. Seems as though the person who put the shocks on wasn't. I got my car about 80% done and the rest for me to piece back together. They put the mount on just with the small stud holding it all. It lasted about 150 miles and both have broken off. The design itself looks weak, and the parts houses say they sell these 3-4 at a time to car owners. I am thinking of welding the tip back with some re-enforcement on the arm end. That means I have to remove the stud and through bolt them in place. I am just shopping for ideas and experience from other builders like yourself. Thanks.
06-28-2012 08:58 PM
One of mine was broken and re-welded by a previous owner with reinforcement on the nut side so the mounting stud did not have to be replaced. Can you post a photo?
06-29-2012 03:13 PM
Lower shock mounts
These apparently fail frequently as per 2 parts houses. One supplier told me most buyers get 3-4 at a time. The obvious solution to me was to build a better mouse trap. I'm sure I am not the first person to figure this out. I had the broken tab tack welded in place and then had them add a reinforcing piece of steel in the bottom side of the mounting bracket. That necessitated driving the small mounting stud out of the lower suspension arm. I replaced that with a 1" x 3/8" bolt and used a compression nut. The fit was perfect, and there is plenty of room to use a wrench on the bolt head. I don't think these mounts will fail. The car rides fine and the shocks mount just as before. Spraying some PB Blaster on the studs and letting it sit over night made them very easy to tap out. Put a nut flush to the edge of the stud if you don't want to ruin it in the removal process. A few light taps with a heavy ball pean hammer took them both out.
07-01-2012 03:57 PM
The reinforcement you have looks like what I recall from mine. Your solution should work fine.