Front Sub-frame Help - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2012, 02:57 PM

Last journal entry: the rear body panel
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Front Sub-frame Help

I Just bought a real 69 Z-28 unfinished project for a good price. As you can imagine she was in a million pieces. Here is the delima. With the car on stands sub frame installed There is a gap on the right side floor pan mounting point between the rubber and the floor. I believe the floor bottom to be welded a little high.

If needed can I use shims on the rear front to get the sub frame even? The location Im talking about is under the front seats.Or should I just install the front bolts And use a block and hammer and persuade the rear to cooperate?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2012, 03:15 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

From my wrecking yard days, I remember there were some shims it the mounts, I believe you're going to have to get the core support and fenders on to determine what needs to be done. If the gap is huge between the floor and frame, I would say more than 3/8 of an inch, it should probably be done over again in the floor area.
Old 04-15-2012, 03:52 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinger
From my wrecking yard days, I remember there were some shims it the mounts, I believe you're going to have to get the core support and fenders on to determine what needs to be done. If the gap is huge between the floor and frame, I would say more than 3/8 of an inch, it should probably be done over again in the floor area.
Thanks for the come back on this. Now on these newer cars I know anything more than 3/8 is way off. But on the older cars I have been told the clearances varied. Thats why the fenders and everything had all the shims. Im second guessing on this because I have not worked in a body shop in over 12 yrs. Back then when I did frame repairs every day, I would know what to do. Now I got cold feet lol!@.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:28 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

hey neighbor ,where in Ga are you located???first you need to determine which piece is twisted ,the frame or the body or both ...I've done quite a few 69's,the last one was an SS/RS ....were the rockers rep;aced? how about the floors?were sub-frame connectors ever welded in,a lot of these cars went to the drag strip regularly and can get pretty twisted .Do you remember how to set up the sub-frame to see if its bent or twisted? ...I have a few frame tools you can use if your not to far from me.or you can even bring the subframe to my shop and use my stuff if you want,your more than welcome.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:31 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman
hey neighbor ,where in Ga are you located???first you need to determine which piece is twisted ,the frame or the body or both ...I've done quite a few 69's,the last one was an SS/RS ....were the rockers rep;aced? how about the floors?were sub-frame connectors ever welded in,a lot of these cars went to the drag strip regularly and can get pretty twisted .Do you remember how to set up the sub-frame to see if its bent or twisted? ...I have a few frame tools you can use if your not to far from me.or you can even bring the subframe to my shop and use my stuff if you want,your more than welcome.
Man thanks alot! Wow brother its refreshing to see guys still around willing to help another guy out. Well the subframe is not bent. the doors and all are still good everything open and closes fine. The guy who did the body work welded patch pans in And it looks like its a tad High on the the drivers side maybe a inch maybe less. I have not locked everything down yet but But I dont want to put the whole car together and the ride hight is higher on one side than another. I heard the older cars had shim in that location also if needed from the factory but have not seen it for myself. I want to make sure before I go all the way. I got a firebuird and it was flush.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:33 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

I just saw that you are from Ga and although its a big state you might be fairly close...You definetly dont want to frorce fit the frame or beat it.A slight twist in the frame might be hard to see without leveling it first...I've seen these get so twisted at the track the doors wont open....Did you notice if there were any frame connectors welded in ,in the past? that would give you a clue also...
The only place you'll see tactory shims on these cars is on the fire wall for fender hight and the hood hinge ...Never in the body mounts and the frame doesnt acrually bolt to the floor pan ,the floorpan is welded to a reinforcemsnt and the frame bolts to that ,Is that missing ??...if it did you would have to remove the frame just to replace the pans,which you dont....
can you snap a few pics ?? Pm me and I'll give you my number. I might even take a ride out there and have a look....
Old 04-17-2012, 05:53 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman
I just saw that you are from Ga and although its a big state you might be fairly close...You definetly dont want to frorce fit the frame or beat it.A slight twist in the frame might be hard to see without leveling it first...I've seen these get so twisted at the track the doors wont open....Did you notice if there were any frame connectors welded in ,in the past? that would give you a clue also...
The only place you'll see tactory shims on these cars is on the fire wall for fender hight and the hood hinge ...Never in the body mounts and the frame doesnt acrually bolt to the floor pan ,the floorpan is welded to a reinforcemsnt and the frame bolts to that ,Is that missing ??...if it did you would have to remove the frame just to replace the pans,which you dont....
can you snap a few pics ?? Pm me and I'll give you my number. I might even take a ride out there and have a look....
no It didnt have connectors. Im 100% sure its the floor pan that was welded in a little off. The hole in the floor lines up good. The frame came off of another car I have that was good. I will snap some photos this week end

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.