Front suspension - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2002, 05:11 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post Front suspension

Hello, I have a 36 Chevy standard coupe with the stock front beam axle.The front suspension needs new king pins and the front end has always sat higher than I like. What are your opinions on the front suspension? I like the 50's look of the beam axle, but at the same time ,an IFS is not completely out of the question. I would like to avoid cutting off the front of the frame to install a sub frame from a newer car.The car has a 327,4 spd,Vega steering box, later rear axle and stock sheet metal.The car is driven mostly around town.it handles good enough for me presently. Do the mono leaf front springs work out ok?Welding and fabrication presents no problems to me.Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2002, 07:15 AM

i have a 38 chev it had a knee action front end itook it out and now in the process of installing an i-beam in it with new kingpins and disc brakes my question is is the vega steering box the way to go as i am not interested in power steering?
Old 01-18-2002, 09:03 AM

The Vega Box seems to steer easy enough for me.yes I read your other post about the knee action frame. My car is the standard model that came with the beam axle.Its an old drag car, was never set up properly. Must have been a real bear to drive down the track.I put in the Vega box along with a steering kit I bought second hand ,but it was new stuff.I don't know who made the parts. The box is mounted low up front with a tie rod going to the right spindle then a another tie rod connects both spindles.keeps a straight line going down the road and over bumps.I kept the stock steering column inside for looks.I have heard the mono leaf spring work well maybe I can get a first hand report on them here.I am writting from work, thats why the silly screen name and no email address.Good luck on your project.
Old 01-19-2002, 05:06 AM
Hot Rods are Built, not Bought

Last journal entry: Lakeroadster's '31 Model A Tudor
Last photo:

I built my current ride, '31 Model A Tudor, and used a 4" dropped I-beam axle with a four bar and a Posies "super-slide" spring. It uses Vega cross-steering and hydraulic shocks. Pretty basic stuff but it works well.

I too am considering a mono-leaf for a '27 steel roadster pickup I am building. The mono leaf seems to be pricey but they do allow for some height adjustment using shims. That way you can really get the front end down in the weeds.
Old 01-31-2002, 04:27 AM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Talking

I agree with Lakeroadster. Use a dropped axle and good quality springs. While you're at it consider upgrading the front brakes to something a bit safer than the old stock units.

Safety first, fun second.
Old 01-31-2002, 08:46 PM

I can say from personal experience with the '36, that a Nova/Camaro clip will NOT fit properly without hacking up the front fenders. Your only options that make sence are a dropped axle or muskrat II. Butch's Rod Shop has a 5" and a 6" dropped axle available along with all the other usual stuff. 513-746-1113.
Old 02-02-2002, 07:28 AM

Thanks for your suggestions.I decided the dropped axle is right for my car, along with disc front brakes.
Old 02-03-2002, 05:28 AM
Toy builder

Last photo:

I have installed the camaro/nova clip on a 36 with no cutting of the fenders(has to be a rear steer.Having said that i would go the route gearhead suggests.There is nothing wrong with a properly set up staight axle.(i run one in my fat fendered pick-up)Thatreal shiny new Peterbuilt that went buy you the other day at over 85 mph has one under it!!! Just watch how much drop you get in the axle,some guys go too much and with smaller front tires bang the bottom of the axle on stuff.3-4 inches would be all i think you would want.6 gets a little close at some places (shows with fields)I have not personal used Butch but worked with people that have and are very happy with the shop.Think about the price after all is said and done the stangII will drive better handle better na dbe allmost as much money in the end.I like the axle look myself but it will never drive as good as a IFS. This is the shop truck in the weeds with a stock axle and some creative frame work.

[ February 03, 2002: Message edited by: Phat ]</p>

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.