front suspension - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2011, 10:22 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

front suspension

Is there a newer front suspension assembly with power steering and disc brakes if possible that is not a mustang 11that will bolt or weld on to my 51 chevy sedan delivery with out a lot of modifications.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2011, 07:33 AM

The 80's (to 87) chevy pu front end is probably the closest- it unbolts from
the stock frame and is only about an inch wider than the ad frame. It does
set the vehicle quite high if you care about lowering it you will have to
spend money on lowering springs, dropped spindles etc. There are also
issues with the placement of the power steering box. There is quite a bit
on this swap on the various boards that cater to these vehicles- google it
and you should find some more specific info. Good luck with the truck-
Jim
Old 04-12-2011, 09:35 AM

Last photo:

ifs

try the hollister road company, they put the '80's style front end in an old truck. it didn't look right to me, but to each their own. some of them have too wide of a track width so they will have to use offset wheel, maybe that is why they look different. there is also a site that sells adapter plates and spacers etc to put your old truck onto an s10 frame. it would sit lower from what I have seen. i went through this dilemma on my 57 gmc and ended up going with a MII set up from TCI, with the advice of some of the guys on this site. I would recomend doing your homework and actually see one completed if possible, or at least some pics of the build. some guys will "clip" a front end from something else and adapt it to fit as well. just make sure you get it right the first time because once the frame is cut it's cut. there are lots of guys who have done each one of these conversions so there should be some before and after pics available. I believe TCI and some others sell a complete frame for your truck, it could be a little spendy though. one for my 57 was going for about $8000 I think. I don't remember what it came with for suspension options etc but it was ifs for sure. just the MII kit for mine was $2500 with 10" discs, power steering rack, stabilizer bar, with air ride bags but no controls etc. check out heidts, art morrison, several others. take a look at the ads in custom classic trucks, they usually have a bunch in there. try to get a price, all in, to do a complete front end or frame or whatever and then do a comparison from there. would you be doing the work yourself? don't forget to ad the cost of wheels because unless you go with that option of 6 stud wheels (cost more in the kit) then you will end up swapping wheels too. i do sort of remember a bolt in kit for your style of truck, but it was MII stuff.
good luck and keep us posted
dsraven
Old 04-13-2011, 02:47 AM
3rdmember

Last photo:

uh, guys, he said it was a sedan delivery, not a panel truck....

BIG difference!
Old 04-13-2011, 07:07 AM

Last photo:

sedan delivery

hey, sorry man, I was thinking panel truck. big difference, HUGE. my bad. I'm gonna take my ball and go home now.......
sorry, don't have any info on a bolt in kit for that. I would imagine it has the same frame as a car would. one of the car guys would maybe have an answer. there is an article in rod and custom magazine, feb 2009, called "how it works: independent front suspension" that is interesting.
here is who I was looking at when I got my 57 gmc stuff. it was all MII though I think. there are probably more if you google it
no limit engineering
total cost involved
heidts
fatman
streetrod engineering
full tilt street rods
jim meyer racing ( has a bolt in kit for your car, but hold onto your wallet, or start skimming cash into the hotrod fund now, ha ha)
speedway motors
art morrison
welders series
rod and custom motorsports (cater more to fords but make a front end for the chevy car up to '54)
chassis engineering ( has bolt on kits)

good luck,
dsraven
Old 04-13-2011, 08:45 AM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

The short answer to your question is NO. You're not going to find a "bolt in" front suspension that won't require some serious modifications. That's why most people go with something along the lines of a Mustang II IFS. These systems are easy to install and can be bolted or welded in and won't require you to build new mounts for the radiator and front sheet metal, which by the way is not an easy job.

For your car you could use a Camaro or Nova clip which would give you everything you want but it will require cutting off the front frame and welding in the clip..... and it takes a lot of work to make sure the clip is aligned correctly and this is not really a job for armatures. Then, like I said before you'll need to fabricate new mountings for the inner fenders, radiator and front sheet metal.

So the answer is.... Yes there are other suspension systems that can be used other than the Mustang II IFS..... but NO they won't just "bolt in" without major modifications.

Centerline
HotRodsAndHemis.com

Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just shoot you. - Anonymous
Old 04-13-2011, 09:48 AM

Last journal entry: rust on lt body shell
Last photo:

s-10 front frame or 78-83 elcomino or chevelle will work.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.