Front Suspension - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2005, 07:54 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Front Suspension

I am just now starting a "new" project. Will be building a 1949 Chev. "Delux Sport Coupe" into a "Driver".
In the past I have built one Chev. 1949 1/2 Ton utilizing the suspension and "innards" from a 1978 Camero and restored to "Original" a 1950 Chev DeLux Sport Coupe.
This new project will consist of an injected 350 Chev coupled to the Overdrive Transmission and rear-end out of a 1996 CHev 1/2 Ton pick-up, which I have now in my possession.
I am in need of guidance and reccomendations in the purchase and installation of an Independent front Suspension " hub to hub". I have been impressed with the "Fat Man System", but would like and appreciate any suggestions.
Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2005, 08:05 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

As a Moderator here.....I would like to WELCOME YOU HERE...

Independent front suspension is just about the hottest topic discussed here. There are a LOT of different opinions on whose kit is the best and who has the best support after the sale.

I am a straight axle man myself... so I will step aside and let the others answer your questions.....

Again.....WELCOME....
Old 12-09-2005, 01:10 PM

Last photo:

Hey Deuce...

Hey Deuce...remember when straight axles WERE the hot setup?
Take for instance my circa 1970 IHRA D/HR '56 Chevy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1956HRFront.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	8236  
Old 12-10-2005, 08:40 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUH?
Hey Deuce...remember when straight axles WERE the hot setup?

What do you mean......WERE THE HOT SETUP ?

They still are......

I am putting the straight axle stuff under my new 32 3W project. Have the body back on.....and working like a busy bee.....
Old 12-10-2005, 08:50 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bill
This new project will consist of an injected 350 Chev coupled to the Overdrive Transmission and rear-end out of a 1996 CHev 1/2 Ton pick-up, which I have now in my possession.

Thanks
I may be mistaken but I believe that the 96 pickup rear end may be TOO WIDE.....to fit under the 49 Chevrolet car. Under a 49 Chevrolet, most rodders use a 58 inch wide rear end. A 60 inch rear end is harder to use and fit decent size tires under the car without rubbing. The 58 and 60 inches are measurement is taken at the wheel mounting flange to the wheel mounting flange.I know that the wheel pattern on the 96 truck rear end is 5 on 5 and none of the IFS kits I am aware of offer that wheel pattern on their kits....so you will have two different wheel patterns on your project...

I mainly responded to put this thread BTTT

Last edited by Deuce; 12-10-2005 at 09:55 AM.
Old 12-10-2005, 10:04 AM

1/2 Ton Rear-end

Haven`t even started tearing the pick-up apart, just got through sand-blasting and painting the 49 Frame, used highbuild primer and black acrylic enamel for the frame- looks pretty good to me so far. Since it has been hovering around 15 to 20 degrees here in western Missouri, I have stopped work. I have a rearend out of a 79 "Olds Cutlass" that should work, but wanted the 343 gear ratio for the O-Drive Transmission. Wanted info on Front IFS before I start on the rear-end.
Old 12-10-2005, 10:26 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Wanted info on Front IFS before I start on the rear-end.
Maybe someone will post their experiences with a IFS conversion on a 49 Chevrolet car. I have never owned one so....I am of no help.
Measure the Cutlass rear before you take it out....my 77 Cutlass rear was 62 inches wide....

Old 12-10-2005, 05:15 PM
Just havin' fun.....

Last journal entry: Wheels and tires
Last photo:

Quote:
I am just now starting a "new" project. Will be building a 1949 Chev. "Delux Sport Coupe" into a "Driver".
In the past I have built one Chev. 1949 1/2 Ton utilizing the suspension and "innards" from a 1978 Camero and restored to "Original" a 1950 Chev DeLux Sport Coupe.
I am in need of guidance and reccomendations in the purchase and installation of an Independent front Suspension " hub to hub". I have been impressed with the "Fat Man System", but would like and appreciate any suggestions.
Thanks
Fatman has a nice product but their customer service has been lacking. That is something they have been working to improve. The owner seems like a nice guy.

Can't help with the application in the '49 Chevy car but it worked well in my 1/2 ton. Don't recall if Heidts has one for the '49 but they have a nice product as well.

Deuce - Nice chassis!
Old 12-11-2005, 10:01 AM

Front suspension

I am in the "reserch mode", would appreciate any assistance.

Last one I did, I used an old Camero . Other than requiring quite a bit of time and effort in making the fender wells fit, it worked quite nicely.

Need a list of differant supplier/manufactures for their information . I plan on spending the rest of this winter just in the aquiring of parts and planning, so I can devote full time to the building of the car come springtime.

I am open to any and all suggestions.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:56 AM

Last photo:

The 49-54 Chev cars are definitely in need of replacing the original IFS front. Those cars were lacking in steering and suspension geometry out of the box. Not to mention 60 year old brake technology. Fat-mans set up is a nice piece and there are also several other manufacturers that make exceptional nice stuff. Here is a link off of Progressive Automotive's web site that will show you an install on a 50 Olds race car ( http://www.progressiveautomotive.com/coollinks.htm ). This will give you a good idea on the install and labor portion of it. I would also recommend getting in touch with Bob over at Progressive. He can recommend any geometry changes or even build you a custom front end.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:45 PM
Just havin' fun.....

Last journal entry: Wheels and tires
Last photo:

I second the Progressive Automotive suggestion. Bob does a nice job and is a great resource.
Old 03-15-2006, 06:23 PM

johnegoins

i; have used 78 85 cutlass montecarlo etc. front sus. under several 49, to 54 chevy cars thanks johnegoins

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.