Hot Rod Forum banner

front suspension

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Youngster 
#1 ·
hi, im 19, i have a 1929 ford phaeton, with an inline 6, and a 9 inch for differential, im wondering what is the best front end for it, im also looking to lower it an what would be the best way to do that, any tips are much appreciated

#4 ·
Notorious said:
Well it depends. Do you want the absolute best handling of IFS or do you want to retain the classic hot rod look of a beam or tube live axle? There are a zillion ways to accomplish either. And how deep are your pockets?
well im looking for it to stay old school looking but also have good handling, im also looking to lower the front end, and ive heard of a suicide front end, or a drop axle, what are these?

#6 ·
Here's a pic of both; a suicide spring mount, PLUS a dropped Ford I-beam axle.

A stock Model A would have the spring mounted UNDER the front crossmember.

The suicide mount has a bracket welded to the "front" of the front crossmember, and depending how low you want it you can build that bracket up even higher. So, you could use a non-dropped Ford I-beam stock axle AND get it low by raising the mount up higher than this one.

This car is also using a "dropped" Ford I-beam axle. The 'drop" refers to the S- Bends at the outer end of the axle. A stock Model A axle won't have those S-bends, it will just have a smile shape. A stock 32-48 I-beam will have some drop with a noticable S-bend, but they can be heated & stretched more like the one in the pic. This one also is a "drilled" & "dropped" axle; the holes are done mostly for looks, but also lightens it a bit. A stock Model A axle can also be dropped, if that's what you have already.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.