front suspension change on 63 Chevy2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2005, 11:03 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

front suspension change on 63 Chevy2

I cant afford a Mustang2 aftermarket front subframe etc. so what would be an affordable replacement? Ive heard 80s GM like Cutlas, Monte Carlo etc. and S10. I can get one of these cars cheap cut off the frame and suspension and weld plates to bolt on the Chevy2. Anybody done this , can give me some advise to save alot of trouble. thanks , Mike

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2005, 06:15 PM
STUPID is as STUPID does...

Last wiki edit: Crankshaft Coalition Wiki Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Take some measurements off your duece then take a trip to the 'yard.
What you want to measure is center-to-center of the front tires and also the width over the brake drums where the wheels bolt on.
You are going to be looking for something pretty narrow which the A/G bodies and S10's are not going to be.
What I am going to tell you here is just something for you to think about.
If money is the object I don't think you want to rip into this. It can get expensive (and will) when you find you are in over your head and have an undrivable car in your driveway. I would suggest simply rebuilding what you have. New bushings, bearings, brakes, shocks, and tie rod ends WILL perk up your old cars drivability and is just an R & R process. Ripping the car apart to put in a "new" worn out junkyard suspension that will not work correctly and will have to be stuffed full of new parts anyways is not really cost effective.
I have done this both ways myself and I find that, after all is said and done, the "expensive" aftermarket kit is generally comparable in price to a do it yourself get the stuff cheap method. Junkyard parts are usually worn out when you buy them and you will end up buying new brakes, rotors, shocks, bushings and whatever else will nickel and dime you when taking on a project like this. Especially if experience, tools and facilities are lacking.
Sorry for the book but you did ask for advice...
Mark
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.