Hot Rod Forum banner

front sway bar mount location

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  F-1Rodder 
#1 ·
I just installed a front sway bar on the project and had a question I'ts on a tublar a arm set up from chassisworks and the bar is suppose to go behind the cross member and due to clearence problems I moved it to a forward location my question is, is it more effective in front mount or more affective in a rear mount . Seems like all factory ones are front mount. Same bar just different location I'm sure the leverage on the bar must be different just which way, seems to me rear mount might be stiffer due to being closer to center of car. help me out

#2 ·
The stiffness of the swaybar is due to the diameter of the bar and the rate of the spring steel used in the bar.
You should not notice much if any difference locating the bar in front.
The only thing you want to make sure of is the end links need to flex freely.
I have made a few changes of this nature, and the only vehicle that showed NO noticable difference is my 3/4-ton truck, even before I fabricated the mounts to put the bar under the truck.

#3 ·
The location (front or rear mount) should make no difference so long as the lower "A" arm is rigid enough to handle the stress. If you have any concerns about that, I would reinforce the lower a arm.

For reference, I am using a sway bar from a late model S-10 on my '50 Ford F-1 using FatMan tubular A arms on a '69 Camaro clip. It handles like a dream with single leaf springs in back and stock V8 springs up front. It corners very flat and the front ride is really nice. In a rod, I would prefer a stiffer sway bar generally because of the lowereing. You are less apt to bottom out on rough roads in the curves.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.