Front of Transmission leaking fluid? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2010, 09:52 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Front of Transmission leaking fluid?

I have a 1973 Javelin 6 cylinder engine with a manual 3 speed transmission. I have recently pulled the motor and found the bell housing with a lot of transmission lube on the bottom. The only thing I can find in the transmission to seal the fluid is a gasket directly behind the yoke. I replaced this just a few years ago with a small amount of permatex sealant but it is leaking again. The problem keeps recurring.

Is there anything else I can do to stop the front of the transmission from leaking fluid?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2010, 02:46 AM

Last wiki edit: Transmission identification
Wiki Edits: 85

Yokes never have gaskets. They constantly flex as your driveline length changes.

So what are you talking about?
Old 04-02-2010, 07:04 AM

Last photo:

He might mean the input shaft seal?
Old 04-02-2010, 10:10 PM

Last photo:

My bad, said yoke meant bearing retainer.

My bad I used the wrong name. I meant the bearing retainer that the throw out bearing rides on has a gasket between it and the transmission housing.
Old 04-03-2010, 03:28 AM
More for Less Racer

IIRC there is no actual shaft seal, just an oil slinger behind the bearing retainer, most 60's and 70's 3 and 4 speeds are this way. In order to keep oil from coming out the front you have to drive the vehicle on a regular basis so the slinger can keep the oil thrown back into the case. You also have to be careful to not get too much oil in the trans or the level will be high enough to run out past the slinger, be sure to find out the exact capacity of your trans from a service manual. Some are 1/8" below the fill plug and not running back out the fill plug, if it is full of oil high enough to match the level of the input shaft it will run out the front even if driven daily.

Also make sure the breather vent is clear if the trans has one, if the vent is blocked the trans builds pressure inside as it warms up(just like an automatic or a rear axle housing does) and push fluid out. Make sure you didn't put the bearing retainer back on upside down, some have a small relief hole in the edge to vent the trans or a relief pocket to allow oil drain back into the trans.

Last edited by ericnova72; 04-03-2010 at 03:34 AM.
Old 04-04-2010, 10:03 PM

Last photo:

Some manual transmissions do have an oil seal inside the front bearing retainer, toward the rear. Saginaw 3- & 4-speeds, for example.
Old 04-04-2010, 10:41 PM

oil leak

i have had many manual transmissions apart. All of them had a seal in the front bearing retainer. That is what the release bearing runs on. Try off roading without a seal in the front of the trans.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:56 AM
More for Less Racer

None of the Muncie or early Borg-Warner 4-speeds have a seal in the front bearing retainer. The Muncie's have a combination oil slinger/lert-hand thread retaining nut. I'm just saying the 3-speed in his Javelin could be with or without a front shaft seal in the bearing retainer and what to look for if that is the case.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:19 AM
Differential/Driveline

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRodMan
I have a 1973 Javelin 6 cylinder engine with a manual 3 speed transmission. I have recently pulled the motor and found the bell housing with a lot of transmission lube on the bottom. The only thing I can find in the transmission to seal the fluid is a gasket directly behind the yoke. I replaced this just a few years ago with a small amount of permatex sealant but it is leaking again. The problem keeps recurring.

Is there anything else I can do to stop the front of the transmission from leaking fluid?
That Transmission should be the T14 and it does have a input seal. Google National#482208. There is supposed to be a gasket in between the Brg retainer and the Trans case also. You could always pick up some gasket material at your local parts store and make one.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:26 AM
Differential/Driveline

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericnova72
None of the Muncie or early Borg-Warner 4-speeds have a seal in the front bearing retainer. The Muncie's have a combination oil slinger/lert-hand thread retaining nut. I'm just saying the 3-speed in his Javelin could be with or without a front shaft seal in the bearing retainer and what to look for if that is the case.
The Borg warner T10 4 speed uses that same 482208 input seal in the 65-74 Amc's.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.