front wheels lock up when turning - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2005, 10:59 PM
tryn to learn

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

front wheels lock up when turning

i just got my 88 Firebird with a 6cyl. insured it yesterday.

when i take a sharp turn fully locked or almost fully locked, backing up or going forward(like say in a parking lot or turning around on a street) my front wheels skid when theres a little gravel on the road. i tested on clear pavement and had the wheels fully locked and there was a clunk clunk clunk... at very low speed of course like crawling. this car does not like to turn.. almost feels like the rear end is a Spool, but i know does not have one. Anyone know what the problem is? Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2005, 11:26 PM
tryn to learn

Last photo:

i just jacked up 1 side of the car at a time in the front and locked the wheels both ways and they seem to spin really good, didnt scrap nothing and doesnt look like anything would bind. i jacked it up by the bottom of the a-arms so the suspension doesnt decompress and not be like it would be if it were to have the wieght on the suspension like normaly

i noticed the front drivers side has some play in the bearing and the passenger side has just a tinny little bit. that wouldnt be the problem would it? i will be replacing those the bearings on monday hopfully. along with front sway bar end links and the rear sway bar end links. the end links on the rear the bolts snaped off of them so the sway bar is not connected
Old 04-23-2005, 02:36 AM
Just havin' fun.....

Last journal entry: Wheels and tires
Last photo:

If the tire is not hitting and the caliper is not rubbing the wheel (look for witness marks) it might be the toe setting.
Old 04-23-2005, 05:34 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Most cars get better traction on the tires in a straight line. When turned, the tires just don't bite as well. Also, when turned, the weight is shifted on and off the fires a bit.

What have you got for front tires?

Budget RVs
Old 04-23-2005, 08:11 AM
tryn to learn

Last photo:

my front tires are fairly worn out and cracked, im going to replace those on monday hopefully to if i can find a shop to do it
Old 04-25-2005, 10:58 AM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

What you have is a consequence of bump steer and castor. The proper name is Ackerman Effect. It comes from the inner tire of the corner gaining toe out as you further turn the wheel. GM has added this feature to give you a better "on center" feel with Castor as well as a improved bump steer characistics for a more stable feel at road speeds. You won't have a much Ackerman at higher speeds when the suspension is in compression. In other words, to make the car feel like it handles better, GM has changed the alignment settings. This is a side effect of those settings.
Old 04-25-2005, 01:15 PM
tryn to learn

Last photo:

ohhhh so its normal... thats good. last night i swaped on a set of good tires to try and it helped alot but still slided. right at the moment im getting tires put on my wheels at a shop... $83 frigen bucks to install 2 tires, balance 4 wheels, and install new air valves! and i brought them my own tires to put on... WHAT A RIP OFFF! GRRRR and of course they didnt tell me the price till after i took them outa my car...

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.