Hot Rod Forum banner

frozen carb

784 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  5.0Towncar 
#1 ·
Was wondering what you all use to unfreeze / prevent a carb from freezing up during really cold nights. This morning was second time that the Edelbrock carb linkage was frosted together. The first time it broke free pretty easily, but this morning I had to break out the carb cleaner and give it a shot to free it up. Here in southern Ohio, I'm sure this will be a very rare occurance. I know I don't have any water in the tank, but will go ahead and put in a bottle of gas line antifreeze.

#4 ·
Food grade silicone release agent leaves a micro thin layer on the parts and you won't have the problem again, a moly spray would a suitable alternative also if you don't mind the mess.

#5 ·
for all its worth i use a prouduct called fluid film i live in huntsville ont and drive a 68 biscane every day our average temp has been 20 belo zero the last 2 weeks it works great you can also use it for electical connections all your plug connections its also used for rust pruffing cars here in canada sound like a salesman EH it works ;)

#6 ·
Well, when the wife got home from work this evening, I went ahead and sprayed a little shot of lithium grease onto the linkage. Lithium grease was pretty much the only thing I had readily available to spray on there. It's supposed to get really cold, like 5*, tonight. So I should be able to tell you tomorrow if this method worked or not.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.