Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Frozen clutch?
Thread: Frozen clutch?
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2012, 04:46 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougie
My buddy has a 1969 Alfa Romeo that hasn't been started in over 20 years. Its been stored indoors and is in great shape. He's preparing to start it and finds that the clutch pedal will only go down about 1/2" and then hits a brick wall as he describes it. It's a hydraulic clutch. It sounds to me like the clutch/flyweel is frozen. Does that seem right? If so, is there a way that anyone has used to jar it loose safely? Thanks for any help.
Barring some weird failure of the hydraulics, I'd say that it was a case of the clutch disc being bonded to the PP and flywheel.

You might get it loose by pulling/pushing it in gear while depressing the clutch pedal. There's a chance the clutch friction material will come loose from the disc in the process, though.

If you can safely get under it (support it redundantly on jack stands), you might be able to pry the clutch apart. Same thing on losing the friction material in the process, and it won't be easy because of the lack of room to maneuver unless you have access to a lift.