Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Transmission - Rearend (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/transmission-rearend/)
-   -   Frozen clutch? (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/frozen-clutch-221012.html)

Dougie 06-26-2012 12:08 PM

Frozen clutch?

My buddy has a 1969 Alfa Romeo that hasn't been started in over 20 years. Its been stored indoors and is in great shape. He's preparing to start it and finds that the clutch pedal will only go down about 1/2" and then hits a brick wall as he describes it. It's a hydraulic clutch. It sounds to me like the clutch/flyweel is frozen. Does that seem right? If so, is there a way that anyone has used to jar it loose safely? Thanks for any help.

cobalt327 06-26-2012 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dougie
My buddy has a 1969 Alfa Romeo that hasn't been started in over 20 years. Its been stored indoors and is in great shape. He's preparing to start it and finds that the clutch pedal will only go down about 1/2" and then hits a brick wall as he describes it. It's a hydraulic clutch. It sounds to me like the clutch/flyweel is frozen. Does that seem right? If so, is there a way that anyone has used to jar it loose safely? Thanks for any help.

Barring some weird failure of the hydraulics, I'd say that it was a case of the clutch disc being bonded to the PP and flywheel.

You might get it loose by pulling/pushing it in gear while depressing the clutch pedal. There's a chance the clutch friction material will come loose from the disc in the process, though.

If you can safely get under it (support it redundantly on jack stands), you might be able to pry the clutch apart. Same thing on losing the friction material in the process, and it won't be easy because of the lack of room to maneuver unless you have access to a lift.

boothboy 06-26-2012 06:58 PM

There is also a potability that the throw-out bearing is frozen on the trans. If you can get under the supported vehicle and the inspection cover is large enough. with a hi-quality penetrating oil squirt the be-jesus out of it and let it set. Movement of the clutch petal might free it.

timothale 06-26-2012 08:31 PM

stuck clutch

A friend traded for a stock 34 ford and after it sat in his garage a couple years found the clutch stuck. I started the engine in neutral, warmed it up then pushed it put into the street and in gear with the clutch pedal down fired it up for a short burn out. on the second full throttle burn it broke the clutch loose We figured that it had not been driven since the flywheel was resurfaced and a new clutch installed. the coolant had been absorbed into the flywheel and bonded the friction material.. I slipped the clutch on a drive around the block to burn the rest of it off,, no more problems.

BigChevyFTW 06-27-2012 06:14 PM

Do not try to move that clutch until you get a look at it visually!

being as i find barn finds all the time that havent run in years i can tell you from experience its a rusted input shaft/pressureplate and flywheel.

if you want to try to break it freee this is what usuualy works for me when i see its not too bad.

jack the car up and put the rearend on jackstands.
place some blocks infront of the front tires and fire that baby up and get her to about 40 mph and slam on those brakes to try to help break it free a little do it a few times and try working the pedal a little.

this is assuming that it is stuck in a gear and not in N pistion. good luck!!!

Dougie 06-27-2012 09:02 PM

Unfortunately it's stuck in nuetral and the pedal won't depress. I told him that he might try disconnecting the slave cylinder pushrod from the actuator arm and then lightly press the pedal to see if the slave moves. At least that would confirm its a mechanical problem and not something in the hydraulics. It be a heck of a lot easier if it was hydraulic. But he should be able to slide it into a gear without the clutch and then maybe try these ideas.

dsraven 06-27-2012 11:54 PM

when you say it is stuck in neutral, do you mean with the engine off and the wheels blocked it can't be shifted into any gear? even if the car is rocked back and forth slightly? if that is the case then there are more problems than a stuck clutch. possibly the shift tower mechanism is worn out or siezed up as well.
on the clutch, for sure check the aesy stuff first. is the slave cylinder siezed? does the clutch fork move by hand if the slave cylinder's pushrod is removed? can you see the release bearing moving through the inspection hole? if all this checks out, then you probably have a disc rusted to the input shaft/flywheel/ pressure plate.