Hot Rod Forum banner

frustrated!!

890 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  fumplet 
#1 ·
Hello, getting very frustrated. I just put the old altenator 3 wire back in and now it is over charging? It is a new battery and when i start the car the battery bubles over, what the hell did i do wrong?

#7 ·
Razors57chevy said:
teh one i have shows it is high 15v + it is from auto zone and just lights up to say high normal or low. I just checked again and the back of the alt is magnetized even when the car is off?
my guess is you might want to check your wiring as the armature seems to be always on...and might be wired wrong.............thats a quick normally to see if an aleternator is charging is to check the back of it for magnetism, but yours is always on......hmmm I think regulators vary the field strength of the armature hence the magnetic field detected on the back........well if the armature is wired hot.......or incorrectly.........over charging???bad or incorrectly wired regulator.......well thats my 2 cents.......my brother accidentially hooked up a 2 wire internal regulator alternator for me.......hooked the sense wire to the ballast resistor. on the ignition coil, why he did that I dont know.........well that made the alternator output way over 14 volts........hence a boiled over battery

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.