Frustrated & out of $$$ over ford 9" HELP! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2003, 04:49 PM
NEED 4 SPEED!

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Unhappy Frustrated & out of $$$ over ford 9" HELP!

I I'm trying to build up a 86 monte ss while completing my senior year of high school. I'm buying this used ford 9" that is 53 1/2 wide with the g-body mounts and control arms, it has "strange" axles and disc breaks. However!!! it has a spool in it (used for drag racing) I can't obviously drive a spool around town. can anyone tell me what i need to go to get it posi again? or how much a used center posi unit costs? or what i should do (i'm young... have little money to fund this project) the whole rear axle is costing me $700 to begin with. Thanks, Bryan.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2003, 05:38 PM

Last photo:

Easiest and cheapest way out would be to buy another Center section (pumpkin) Open(non posi) the ratio you need and rebuild the other one to a posi set-up as you can afford it. You can pick up good open pumpkins for around $100. Good luck.
Old 10-18-2003, 08:21 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

I would check the spline count on those axles before you do anything. Bearing size is also a good thing to check. Is the center section oem or aftermarket? If it is an oem large 3.062 bearing it will be 28,31,33 spline. 33 is the largest Moser will make for the 3.062 bearing, but If it is a large 3.?? bearing aftermarket the axles could be large. If you have 28 or 31 splines you can pickup a complete used pumpkin. Swap meets are a good place to find them, but you dont know what you are getting. Any used posi is likely to need a rebuild as well, which if you have to have it done it will cost a good bit. The point of this rambling is you might be better off getting axle size and just ordering a new unit from Summit. You should be able to just disassemble the unit and switch out the center without a complete rebuild, but you will need a new crush sleeve and the ability to setup pinion preload.

Rearend work is expensive. Unless you know someone, can do it yourself, or just get lucky, it will probably cost you around $500 to get it the way you want it. You might keep a lookout on ebay, but you dont know for sure what you are getting.

Chris
Old 10-18-2003, 08:25 PM

Last photo:

With a limited budget is there a reason your going to the Big 9"?? The GM rear ends can be upgraded for most street applications with a lot less trouble.
Old 10-18-2003, 08:47 PM

ya pony has a real good point there you could probably same alot of money with sticking with the original axle.
Old 10-19-2003, 08:40 PM
NEED 4 SPEED!

Last photo:

My motor hasn't been dyno'd yet, but it should produce between 450hp and 500hp its a 406sbc with A LOT of money, time, and thought planing. With my camino, i went the cheap way and had fun. As long as i spent the money on the engine, i might as well take the extra steps and do everything else right with the transmission and rear end on this monte ss. I've seen some cheap center sections on ebay. I'm looking at buying one in my area and re-building it. A human can re-build a ford 9inch and make it work, so if i get the right knowledge, i should be able to build a good posi center section. Does anyone know of any books or sites that can give me enough information to do so? Thanks guys for the help!!!!!
Old 10-19-2003, 09:22 PM

me personally would just keep the spool in there. especially if your concerned about money. i purposly put a spool in my 9" it just makes turning a lil harder and you will go through tires a little quicker. or you could pull an axle out, count the splines and buy a NEW posi unit for a couple hunderd bux and have someone put it in for you.
Old 10-20-2003, 05:13 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Quote:
Originally posted by MuscleBlock81
My motor hasn't been dyno'd yet, but it should produce between 450hp and 500hp its a 406sbc with A LOT of money, time, and thought planing. With my camino, i went the cheap way and had fun. As long as i spent the money on the engine, i might as well take the extra steps and do everything else right with the transmission and rear end on this monte ss. I've seen some cheap center sections on ebay. I'm looking at buying one in my area and re-building it. A human can re-build a ford 9inch and make it work, so if i get the right knowledge, i should be able to build a good posi center section. Does anyone know of any books or sites that can give me enough information to do so? Thanks guys for the help!!!!!
Hotrod Magazine had a comprehensive article in the mid 90's. You might check out their site and see if they have something in the archives. A friend of mine helped me build mine, and we followed the article with no problems. Of course he had done it several times before, but he learned with that very article.

Chris
Old 10-20-2003, 06:03 AM
No Bodies does it better

Last photo:

hmmm...

depending on where you are at you will have to put the smogger stuff back on the engine, there is hp lost. Then you have the fact that your going to lose 20% of your hp before it even hits the rear wheels. hp is your top end high rpm level. your torqe is what moves the car. your ss should have came with a 10 bolt which back in it's day was not the greatest rears but were used against 454 and 396's in some cases which means more tq in most cases then a small block. What your failing to understand is your not going to break a 10 bolt with a sm 380hp. unless you really really run the hell out of it...but like I've stated people do use big cubes against a 10 bolt. but it's your choice, your really not to concerned with money if your going to put a rear end out of acar thats not even by the same company. plus it was a drag rear that more then likely needs an over haul. I would stick to a 10 bolt and if you snap it move on up to the 12 or the 9. but as of now your burning money....

just my 2 cents.
Old 10-20-2003, 09:09 AM
NEED 4 SPEED!

Last photo:

I'm looking at buying a new (professionally overhaulled) posi center section for around $300 or so. I would then either keep that spooled center section and put it in for fun at the strip. Or sell it and get at least some money back. If anyone knows of someone who could build this posi affordibly, let me know.

deathbygreaser- i understand your torque versus hp statement. However, we're building this engine for torque b/c i have a heavy car and it takes torque to move it down the road. HP is a made up thing anyhow.... you CAN'T feel hp... its equation of how much foot pounds you make over a certain RPM and at 5,200RPM EVERY engine makes the same amount of torque as hp due to the math part. The 10 inch posi 3:73 rear in the monte is getting put in the el camino b/c i've had a 350 in the camino wasting hp over some stock, v-6, one wheel wonder, rear end.

If anyone has anything more to add about the ford 9" posi: please contribute!!!

Does bearing size matter when i change the center section, i know the splines do, but what abotu the bearings? How do i check the size? Thanks.

Last edited by MuscleBlock81; 10-21-2003 at 10:42 PM.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.