FT360 .....ideas, thoughts, suggestions - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2003, 01:30 PM
Psychotic

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

FT360 .....ideas, thoughts, suggestions

Hi, I am pretty new, here, well I have been coming here for a while but don't often post, however I read the thread in the 'Lounge' from AKM, "what yall think of me" and I like the replies on there, you sound like a stand up bunch of guys. Ok, brown nosing over . We have just got a FT360, basicially for free, [wonder why ] and we were thinking of putting it in our 72 ranchero, I don't think size will be a problem altho ours has an inline 6 in at the moment, they did come out with 351C's and the 360 is not that much bigger. I am more interested in what you guys think can be done to this engine, I believe with the right stroking/boring, cam, carb etc it can push out about 400hp, what are your thoughts, and have any of you had any experience with these engines?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	white chero front.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	8.1 KB
ID:	197  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2003, 04:11 PM

Im new here too. I believe it should be easy to get 400+ hp from that motor. FE and FT engines have alot of interchagable parts. If it is a FT 360 and not a 361 (Edsel Motor), then you could easily make that engine a 390. A 360 is a 390 block with a 352 crank. You could swap in a 390 crank, rods and pistons balancer and Flywheel and have a 390. The timing cover might be different because the FT cranks had a larger front shaft. If the motor is an FE 360 the same info above applies, but the crank front shaft should be the same so the 360 timing cover, balancer and flywheel should work. The way to tell between the FT and FE engines is to check the crank. FT cranks were forged steel and are externally balanced at the Flywheel. FEs used a nodular iron crank and were internally balanced. The front of the crank on a FT engine is 1.75 inches in diameter, while the FE crank is 1.375 inches diameter.

Im running a 390 in a 67 Fairlane with a four speed. I have Edelbrock performer RPM heads and intake, the cam is a lunati 07503 (235* at .050, .560 lift, 108 lobe seperation), trw forged pistons, 12.5:1 compression, a 950 Holley and long tube headers. I am still building the car so I havent run it at the track or on a dyno yet, but I know of others with a similar setup dynoing 450+ hp and close or more than 500 lb-ft of torque. When I finish the car (hopefully by the end of the year), I will post some numbers.

For good information on the FE and FT engine families, including interchanabilities, I suggest you pick up the High Performance Ford Engine Parts Interchange by George Reid, published by SA Design, Part number SA56 ISBN: 1-884089-33-X. I got it at a local book store, but you could find it a www.cartechbooks.com.

Tim
Old 08-25-2003, 04:14 PM
Psychotic

Last photo:

Tim
Thanks for the reply, my better half just bought me that book you mentioned and I have been going thru' it, very good info in it. We have also got a 66 Fairlane, (Canadian build) based on the Galaxie full size Ford platform, no engine at present but will either put a inline 6 in or get a V8 for her, also a 69 Oz Fairlane, same story, no engine, 72 Oz Fairlane with a 351C, undergoing teardown, a 71 Mustang with 302, undergoing extensive body repair, trying to find some good metal in all the rust to weld on to, a 69 Oz Ranchero, 302 in, with a bit of a engine knock, next one due for teardown, the 72 'chero mentioned, a 70 cougar 351C, and 72 cougar 351C, 70 Holden Manaro 308, undergoing body and engine teardown. Hmmm, now I am depressing myself, looking at all this work to be done.
Your 67 Fairlane sounds like it is going to be a real mean car when you get finished, please keep me updated on the progress. Can we post pics here? I would like to see a pic of your Fairlane.

We have kind of got a 5 year plan going with our lot, hopefully get one finished a year.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.