Fuel Block mounting on firewall... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2010, 01:36 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Fuel Block mounting on firewall...

Is it a good (safe) idea to mount a fuel block to the firewall? I mean I have rubber engine mounts, so the engine torques over when I rev it.

Example found on web-

http://public.fotki.com/JCole/11_fom...ncoln_v16.html

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2010, 05:56 AM
ASE Master Tech, Fabricator

Last wiki edit: Taurus 2-speed fan control wiring diagram Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

I often use the General Regulations in the NHRA or IHRA rulebook as guidelines for safety questions, and there is a rule about not mounting the regulator or any fuel fittings on the firewall. I would mount any fuel handling equipment either to the frame or a bracket mounted to the frame or fender, on the same side of the car as it comes forward from the tank, or on the same side as it's going to, whichever makes more sense, and/or whichever makes for a simpler, cleaner looking system.
Old 08-15-2010, 05:57 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454headache
Is it a good (safe) idea to mount a fuel block to the firewall?
The NHRA doesn't think it's a good idea- you will not pass a pre-race inspection if the firewall where the block or regulator, etc. is within a short distance (fore and aft) of the flywheel- the idea being if there's a catastrophic failure, the flywheel/clutch/converter could break the lines.

But all that aside, you only need to use a short length of rubber line (stainless braided hose, if you choose- it is treated as solid metal fuel line, AFA NHRA rules goes) from the chassis or firewall mounted fuel line to the engine mounted carbs, etc.. This is what the OEM does between the fuel line from the tank (usually clamped to the frame, adjacent to the pump) to the mechanical fuel pump. This prevents metal fatigue from the engine rocking around from breaking a solid fuel line.

BTW, NHRA rules allow for just 12" of rubber fuel hose used in the entire fuel system. Steel braided hose is exempt from this.
Old 08-15-2010, 09:56 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,008 Posts
I think the NSRA rule book is going a bit far. I mean does that mean we don't cover our welds with filler and have axle studs sticking out a half inch past the lugs?

On your average street rod, a fuel block on the firewall with hoses running to the carb or carbs is plenty safe. I am a nut for safety stuff but that goes out into another galaxy when you are talking about real world concerns.

Brian
Old 08-27-2010, 02:10 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
I think the NSRA rule book is going a bit far. I mean does that mean we don't cover our welds with filler and have axle studs sticking out a half inch past the lugs?

On your average street rod, a fuel block on the firewall with hoses running to the carb or carbs is plenty safe. I am a nut for safety stuff but that goes out into another galaxy when you are talking about real world concerns.
Brian
Years ago when I began teching for NHRA, I was told by the old-timers that each and every rule in the Rulebook was there because someone was either injured or killed. 'Nuf said.
Old 08-29-2010, 11:51 AM
ASE Master Tech, Fabricator

Last wiki edit: Taurus 2-speed fan control wiring diagram Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
.... I am a nut for safety stuff but that goes out into another galaxy when you are talking about real world concerns....
So what part of FIRE isn't real world? Rubber hose has caused thousands of fires over the years, and a fire on the motor or fender is better than a fire on the firewall between the engine and the passengers, at least in MY world,
Old 08-29-2010, 12:35 PM

Last photo:

"Real world" is if something is done properly be it mount the block on the fire wall and have a rubber hose going to the carb, or mount the block on the wheel well and have a rubber hose going to the carb, it will work. In the real world, if it is done properly and maintained even sort of good nothing will ever happen.

I know this because there are 4,258,574,457 cars in the world with a piece of rubber hose in the fuel system going to the carb or FI.

The HOSE is what is going to fail and cause a fire, if that fire is in the engine compartment there isn't one single bit of difference in where that block is! Not one single difference! A fire is a fire and being over one foot closer to you isn't going to mean crap.

I say use proper hose, proper clamps and do it right and put the block where it works and you will be fine.

Brian

Last edited by MARTINSR; 08-29-2010 at 12:46 PM.
Old 08-29-2010, 12:45 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by techinspector1
Years ago when I began teching for NHRA, I was told by the old-timers that each and every rule in the Rulebook was there because someone was either injured or killed. 'Nuf said.
Well, again, that is RACING too. We aren't going to build a 38 Chevy sedan for the family and follow the NHRA rule book. I don't think you need to put your family in helmets and put a drive shaft loop and a number of other rules that would be ludicrous for a street car (or at least total overkill).

So I am with you to do things right, but THAT particular rule is overkill for a street car. The biggest reason why they don't want it there is because of fly wheel/clutch disintegration and flying shrapnel breaking the line. What is the possibility of that in a street car?

Listen, something "real world" like seat belts and the like, I use them EVERY single time I move a car on street. But this hose issue is overkill in my opinion.

Brian

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.