Fuel delivery problem, anyone knowledgeable on this? PLEASE HELP! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2006, 09:11 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Fuel delivery problem, anyone knowledgeable on this? PLEASE HELP!

I have a 1978 Cutlass Supreme Brougham(60kmi) with the original 260 (v8) and I have been having a fuel issue now all summer. The motor will start if I dump some gas down the carb, and once its running it will start fine the rest of the day, but if it sits for a day or two no gas pumps out when the pedal is pushed. I posted this problem before and everyone thought the carb was draining internally, so I bought a rebuilt card from National Carbs and installed it, and I am getting the same problem? I loosened the gas cap, I even took a line off the fuel pump to see it was pumping, the fuel filter is new, and I have no idea of what to do next? Is it possible the charcoal canister could be the culprit? If anyone has any thoughts I would appreciate it.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2006, 10:00 AM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

Your carb is probably leaking from internal plug. A simple gasket rebuild type won't help at all. Most likely a crack somewhere. A specialty carb shop will get you fixed up.
Old 08-21-2006, 12:25 PM

fuel leak

try replacing your fuel pump sometimes when the pump goes bad it starts to leak the gasoline back into the fuel tank.
Old 08-21-2006, 02:13 PM
Flamethrower

Last journal entry: More Cooling fan pictures.
Last photo:

Does your oil smell like gasoline? occassionally fuel pumps can leak into the engine from a hole in the fuel pump. Does the carb get gas if you crank it over and then see if the accelerator pump squirts?
Old 08-21-2006, 02:34 PM
Blowin' it

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Running again...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

I agree, you pump may be bleeding residual pressure. This would cause a loss of priming.

Jason
Old 08-21-2006, 02:50 PM

Last photo:

That certainly sounds like well plugs leaking. Even if the carb was rebuilt, if they weren't checked properly it could be. Even with fuel pumps loosing prime and such, if the float bowl is full when you shut down and there is no leaks and choking system is working correctly, it should start even if it had no fuel pump. Wouldn't run long but would start. I am assuming the carb is a Q-jet.
Old 09-28-2006, 07:33 AM

fuel issue solved, sort of..............

Just thought I would give an update, first I appreciate everyones help with thinking this through. It turns out that there is a hole in the fuel pickup in the gas tank. It wasnt until I took off the fuel line before the pump and blew through it I figured this out. The car has only 60kmi original, but it did sit for a few years with only a little gas, in storage not climate controlled here in the Northeast(condensation is to blame). The thing is it will start after dumping gas into the carb, and it will run fine once it gets going, even with the leak, but after a day or two it dries up, I am not really sure how, loses prime I guess, but whats strange is there is no gas in the carb either? And this is a second carb.......
Old 09-28-2006, 10:57 AM

Last photo:

fuel delivery problem

back when your car was new, I owned an autop parts store. We had a lot of poroblems with QJ carbs leaking down after setting. A carb kit was not the fix (in most cases) as the well plugs were leaking (and well plugs were not included in a corb kit. I found a company by the name of TOMCO that produced card kits that included new well plugs and epoxy for sealing them. That kit and a new float would fix 99.9% of QJ. Don't kknow if TOMCO is still around, as I retired from the auto business in 1983. Search it out.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.