Hot Rod Forum banner

Fuel fill neck safety valve?

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  staleg 
#1 ·
Du you have any kind of safety valve in the filler neck to avoid fuel spill if the gas cap is knocked off and the car ends up upside down in an accident?

#3 ·
Unless you have a non-vented, threaded screw on gas cap, not much available outside of a race car application to act as a check valve in that 1.5 -2 inch fill line. You can probably pirate one from a salvage yard and a newer car then add a roll over vent valve to your tank such as I have on my '31. Even that will get interesting as there is a very good chance that you will smell gas fumes so an outboard hose with a loop will then be needed. Some condensed gas will then act as a barrier but will still allow the tank to achieve and balance to atmospheric pressure as gasoline is being drawn. Do a roll over and the valve will (hopefully!!) seal. This was a big time factor item for me to figure out, but it works.

Available from Tanks, Inc., Speedway and Summit to name a few.

Dave W

#6 ·
You're right. Let's go this way.....
Here is a product available from Eckler that addresses the problem nicely. What I would do is to purchase the product and a length of hose that the product requires and make changes to my system, using the proper hose diameter to fit the rollover valve. Having the rollover valve in hand would also present the opportunity to re-engineer the product to fit other sizes of hose and could lay the groundwork for producing a product for sale to others in your country. That's the secret to success, find a need and fill it. :thumbup: Be cautious of selling against a filed patent though. Do some research.
Chevy Gas Filler Neck Valve, One-way, 1956-1957

#5 ·
My Toyota has a Ball valve in the fill neck and so does my Subaru.

Not all Cells have flappers(roll over valves) either.

Foam is a bad idea. It breaks down and cause all sorts of problems. Your better off with whiffle balls or PVC tubing as baffles. It's primary is too prevent sloshing and weight transfer not roll over protection.

#9 ·
My Toyota has a Ball valve in the fill neck and so does my Subaru.
That is the rollover valve.
Cars have had them for years now.

Many are built into the fill neck at the tank, and not in the tube , as it is harder for anyone to defeat that way.

- It provides a method of controlled escape for gasoline vapors during the refueling process. It has a mechanism which closes the vent in the event the vehicle rolls over, to prevent spilling of VOCs or fuel in general. It also acts as a fill limiter.

#7 ·
The reason for my question is because today I have what I consider a relatively safe Jaguar flip top gas cap. It is lowered and close to flush with the surrounding body surface.
In addition to that, the filler neck (that the cap is hinged to) have a spring loaded cap close to the top, that will slow down a gas leak very much, in case of a roll over.

But since I turned 50 yeas old a couple of weeks ago, I decided to buy me something completely out of proportion too expensive for my hot rod.
A new gas cap to 265 USD.
This don't have a spring loaded safety valve as the Jaguar cap, and in addition to that, the New cap will stick more up above the body surface.

But I think I have figured out how to do it: I will sacrifice the Jaguar neck by cutting off the part with the spring loaded valve, and fasten this part into the upper part of the rubber hose that I use to connect the filler neck to the tank.

I have also considered the valve that techinspector links to, but isn't this is a valve inteded to avoid fuel spill during hard accelration and such. Not a tip over valve?
And besides that, the Eckler solution vill be more expensive for me, than if I sacrifice the Jaguar fill neck.

But thanks for all your inputs!

The New gas cap that's on its way:

#8 ·
I have also considered the valve that techinspector links to, but isn't this is a valve inteded to avoid fuel spill during hard accelration and such. Not a tip over valve?
And besides that, the Eckler solution vill be more expensive for me, than if I sacrifice the Jaguar fill neck.
Here's the link, decide for yourself......
Chevy Gas Filler Neck Valve, One-way, 1956-1957

I guess you have no interest in producing them locally for sale.

#10 · (Edited)
Thanks for your inputs!
Since I accidently destroyed the hinge that attaches the neck to the Jaguar cap when I removed it, I decided to cut off the part that contains the safety valve, grind down the outer diameter a bit, and fasten it in the top of the filler pipe.
Works very well

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.