Hot Rod Forum banner

Fuel filter issues

2K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  1971BB427 
#1 ·
If u guys know of previous problem getting dirty/rusty trash in carb fuel bowls needle n seat keeping open and flooding out bad. Cleaned fuel filter which is spectra 2228 I think and cleaned carb and all was good but it keeps letting this stuff past filter and I can't figure out how or why. Not sure on micron rating doesn't list and I know I should have one after pump also but not yet. Either way it the filter isn't catching it and I've inspected filter and house/seal area thoroughly and all fine. So real at a loss now. I can try new filter when/if I get one but this one is fine. Any, and I mean anyone have or seen this issue b4.

#2 · (Edited)
I have seen this several times on several friends Street Rods. Most recent was a nice looking chrome "High Flow" fuel filter on a SBC between the mechanical fuel pump and an Edelbrock carb. The filter could be disassembled and the filter media was a screen about twice as fine as a household window screen. Sure it was high flow because the dirt would flow thru the screen and not restrict the fuel flow. I took the Carb apart and there was 3/16" of sediment in bottom of the fuel bowls. Also there was sediment caught in the Needles and Seats allowing high float levels and fuel dribbling into the manifold after shutting engine down. We disassembled and blew everything out real good and put a pleated paper fuel filter in and problem solved. The filter had a clear plastic housing, so inspection for dirt was simple. The filter was a few bucks from local auto parts store. The car was a '37 Chevy that my friend owned for 23 years. The fuel tank may have some rust and or sediment in it from today's ethanol fuels. Down the road he may need to drop the tank and do a good cleaning. For now he's watching that filter and so far all is OK. Use a decent Pleated paper in line filter.

#5 ·
As you have heard that filter is more of a screen than a filter, they don't do much.

I prefer a remote style with a spin on cartridge which is far more durable...has higher flow rates...and larger filter area.

For dual inlet carbs like a Holley DP I plumb the carb with dual hoses and use barbed fittings instead of a fuel log or tubing. The nice part is the gauge can be mounted to the filter housing instead of on the engine where vibration seems to take a toll.

This one works for high pressure fuel injection systems...12 micron filtering with a water drain built into the replacement filter not made of plastic. There are many other similar types out there but not all can handle fuel injection system pressure.

Fuel : Single Mount 1/2" NPT Side Ports Fuel Filter/Water Separator Kit

#6 ·
Another vote to get that crappy Spectre "filter" out of there.

Have you ever actually looked at it close when you have it off the line, to see how terribly volume restrictive it is at the inlet/outlet ports, and how course the filter is?? Awful, ...just awful design.

That's a mullet head/wanna-be/poseur/ricer-boy filter meant to look all shiny and "cool" to extract money from your wallet, not contaminants from your fuel.

#7 ·
The Spectre filter is pure junk, and wont catch much. And if your fuel system has issues with contaminants, I'd run two filters. One really good one near the tank, and a 2nd good inline at the carburetor. I've had cars that sat for years, and had problems with dried gas sluffing off inside the lines and plugging the carburetor, so needed a 2nd filter to catch the particles in the fuel line.

#11 ·
That's very true... But cheap is usually cheap... Not trying to knock what you bought... but you don't usually see it in higher price things...There is a few things in building a car that I put first,,Cooling,fuel,steering,And brakes,,These are a must..

You don't have to buy a high dollar filter,, Just a good one...Good luck fixing it...;)

#15 · (Edited)
Ok I have a few different filters coming and had a question. If let's say I want a nice canister type filter would that be ok to have on mechanical pump. I mean how much pull force is to much for the pump. I know if I had electric pump would be ez to mount after pump as the push but how will this work if mounted in back by tank using mechanical pump.I also want to put one after pump b4 carb but tight for room, or not sure yet cuz I have braided stainless from pump to carb, not sure if I can cut hose and use hose clamps on ss line like u could withe rubber hose? The normal micron I've seen to use is sumthng like 30-100 on couse filter in back and finer one after pump. Plus I was told to not put much if any filter b4 pump for reasons of not checking often and plugging up creating more lean issues. So the way I see it is to or would like have a couse typy(100 micron) by tank and finned one after pump, but all good dinner ones I find are so big to mount cleanly.

#17 ·
Well I wanted a 10 micron filter after pump, but see how that's possible without looking like crap let alone rum for these huge things. Isn't there simple filters everyone uses from pump to carb? I say most that do have the little 40 micron ones and even them r big. Wonder what everyone else does? Didn't think I would have this much problems for a filter to work. Then again most have rust free tank and won't notice with small filter , which I will do but still want it to filter properly in case sumthng happens.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.