fuel filter nut update and need advice. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2003, 06:56 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

fuel filter nut update and need advice.

I put the oversized fitting in but it tore all the treads out of the hole and would'nt tighten. Last night I JBwelded the fitting into the hole. I got it to grad a few threads against the nut because i took off the gasket. Tonight I'm going to cut the fuel line in two and put in an in-line filter and hose. What adjustments to the carb if any will I need to make. Any suggestions on the size filter too install? I put plenty of JB weld around the outside of the nut also so I think it sealed. I won't know until tonight.

On a seperate note is there an idle adjustment for when the truck is in gear. It idles well when in park but when put into gear the idle gets low. If I raise the idle speed on the elec. idle stop then the truck deisels. Thanks for any help.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2003, 03:48 AM
Honorary Redneck

Last photo:

I've got the same problem with putting my camaro in gear, I made some mods (new camshaft, heads etc.) and now it idles fine at 800rpm but tries to die when put in gear,

It could be a vacuum leak, but I've searched everywhere and can't find one,
the next thing I've found out is that is could be vacuum advance on the distributor (either connected to the wrong source or faulty) I'm in the middle of trying a couple of things (like an adjustable vacuum advance canister),

any other suggestions out there?
Old 09-05-2003, 04:17 AM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:

Re: fuel filter nut update and need advice.

Quote:
Originally posted by APACHEMAN
I put the oversized fitting in but it tore all the treads out of the hole and would'nt tighten. Last night I JBwelded the fitting into the hole. I got it to grad a few threads against the nut because i took off the gasket. Tonight I'm going to cut the fuel line in two and put in an in-line filter and hose. What adjustments to the carb if any will I need to make. Any suggestions on the size filter too install? I put plenty of JB weld around the outside of the nut also so I think it sealed. I won't know until tonight.

On a seperate note is there an idle adjustment for when the truck is in gear. It idles well when in park but when put into gear the idle gets low. If I raise the idle speed on the elec. idle stop then the truck deisels. Thanks for any help.
First off DON'T use that carb that you used the JB Weld on. It can and probably will come apart and the results will be devastating..Like FIRE.

Use any "good" inline fuel filter and check it often for debris if you think you have a 'dirty' fuel tank.

As to your idle speed. Your carb should be adjusted and the idle set with the trans in gear. (Automatic trans only) Be sure to block the drive wheels and have the emergency brake set. It may even be a good idea to have a friend sitting in the vehicle with their foot on the brake when you are setting the idle mix and idle speed. Do NOT rev the engine up when you are setting the idle.

Be sure that your timing has been set first. Then proceed with the following. Hook up a vacuum gauge to a full manifold vacuum source. Start your engine and get it to 'normal' operating temp. Set your initial idle to what you are comfortable with by adjusting the throttle linkage stop screw. Adjust the air/idle screws slowly to achieve the highest vacuum on the gauge. Try to keep the adjustments even from one side to the other. The RPM will probably increase during this adjustment. Lower it back down to the RPM you want. Remember that you are making these adjustments with the trans in gear. I repeat, for your safety, do not rev the engine up during this time.

You will also probably have to back off the "electric idle stop" when doing these adjustments. Reset it to the factory specs after you have adjusted the carb.

Quote:
Originally posted by andybird
I've got the same problem with putting my camaro in gear, I made some mods (new camshaft, heads etc.) and now it idles fine at 800rpm but tries to die when put in gear,

It could be a vacuum leak, but I've searched everywhere and can't find one,
the next thing I've found out is that is could be vacuum advance on the distributor (either connected to the wrong source or faulty) I'm in the middle of trying a couple of things (like an adjustable vacuum advance canister),

any other suggestions out there?
With your engine mods you may need a higher than stock stall speed torque converter.

As to the vacuum leak; you could have one at the inner lower section of the intake manifold in the lifter valley area. You will not find this by spraying externally. Did you put any sealer (RTV) on the gasket around the intake ports when you installed it? Edelbrock and others suggest this.
Old 09-05-2003, 05:44 AM
Honorary Redneck

Last photo:

Re: Re: fuel filter nut update and need advice.

Quote:

With your engine mods you may need a higher than stock stall speed torque converter.

As to the vacuum leak; you could have one at the inner lower section of the intake manifold in the lifter valley area. You will not find this by spraying externally. Did you put any sealer (RTV) on the gasket around the intake ports when you installed it? Edelbrock and others suggest this.
comp cams say stock converter is fine (XE268H) and when I asked summit on their sugestion for "optimum" stall converter, they say stock,
they did however point me in the direction of incorrect vacuum diaphragm (as the stock one pulls at different vacuum levels to what I would now be running at) and that that would affect idle speed (e.g. putting the car in gear lowers the vacuum level the engine is pulling and it could be far enough that the vacuum advance diphragm reduces timing to a level that causes the engine to run rough), an adjustable one should help level that out,

Yes I did use RTV, I did everything exactly how it said in all the various manuals and install guides that came with the parts I used, as well as my haines manual where neccesary. But thanks for the suggestion.
Old 09-05-2003, 07:05 AM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:

Re: Re: Re: fuel filter nut update and need advice.

Quote:
Originally posted by andybird
comp cams say stock converter is fine (XE268H) and when I asked summit on their sugestion for "optimum" stall converter, they say stock,
they did however point me in the direction of incorrect vacuum diaphragm (as the stock one pulls at different vacuum levels to what I would now be running at) and that that would affect idle speed (e.g. putting the car in gear lowers the vacuum level the engine is pulling and it could be far enough that the vacuum advance diphragm reduces timing to a level that causes the engine to run rough), an adjustable one should help level that out,

Yes I did use RTV, I did everything exactly how it said in all the various manuals and install guides that came with the parts I used, as well as my haines manual where neccesary. But thanks for the suggestion.
I ran that same cam with a stock converter in a small block before the engine I have installed now. I ran the stock HEI and stock vacuum cannister also. I found it worked best for that application using 'Full' vacuum source for the advance unit. Give that a try. Idle in Park was about 850-900 RPM and 750 RPM in Drive.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.