fuel filter in pvc line on sbc - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2008, 08:53 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

fuel filter in pvc line on sbc

i installed a 3/8 inline fuel filter in the pvc line on a sbc, it traps oil in the filter, and cut down on exhaust fumes, seems to run better and spark plugs are cleaner.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2008, 09:09 PM

Last photo:

It should work for a while. I think you will find that in time, the filtering element will get saturated and you will end up pulling large dropletts of oil into the engine.

There are different ways to put on a seperator, I guess that's one. I've seen some guys use oil seperators from air compressors. They drip down and stay fairly clean. You can do a google search on "catch can" and "oil seperator" and get some cool home made ideas. A mason jar works good, or an older metal lid mayonaise jar too. Some way to "catch" the oil so it can drip back down is a plus too. Some i've seen have used steel wool inside a baby food jar, mounted upside down inside a mason jar, mounted to the lid and plumbed properly.

I have a "Condensator" on my truck, got it at an auction for 5 bucks. It's very old school, 60"s probably, but works great.

Here is a pic of it on a deceleration, the cloudyness is from the oil fumes. Pretty cool.

here is a different and newer version from Germany that is turbo friendly.

Last edited by Jmark; 05-22-2008 at 09:43 PM.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:14 AM

Last photo:

nope, just a gas filter on the pcv line isn't a best plan....

part of the carb's fuel metering is designed/calibrated based on basically "no" cfm velocity restriction thru the pcv port....

in a very short time the oil dirty filter will add cfm flow restriction...

yup, agree with Jmark, make a oil accumulator/collector and then improve your valve cover baffles till there is next to nothing in the jar
Old 05-23-2008, 04:01 PM
Dale

Did you notice that your fuel mileage has gone up since you installed your "Condensator" on your vehicle? They were good for up to 25% increase. I sold those in the 1980's and early 90's, I got $100.00 plus installation for them. $5.00 was a great deal. I paid $45.00 each when I bought them by the case. Dale
Old 05-23-2008, 04:29 PM

Last photo:

Dale, I did not ck my milage before or after. My main reason for trying it was it was cheap and I was curious how much oil was actually getting into the intake stream. While a half a quart that is now in the jar which spans about 10,000 miles is not much, it is interesting how much blow by an engine has.

Mine has the 3/16" hose on top for the air bleed. I understand how this could help milage on older sloppy running 50's carbs, but on todays injected engines, it will do more harm than good. I have my carb set pretty lean and don't need it any leaner so I just pinched it off.

I guess I could ck the milage now then unhook it and ck again, but I seriously doubt there would be any difference. Personally, I do not think there is any milage benefit from just seperating out the oil. But hey, I could be wrong.

Their site has "testamonials" but no solid third party verifyable test results.
Old 05-23-2008, 05:40 PM
Dale

This is the only fuel mileage device that was CARB approved in California that I know of. It does all that it claims and more.
Not only does it raise fuel mileage but due to the oil mist being removed,your engine will clean itself of carbon build up and engine will last longer. With the oil mist gone your PCV fumes that are totally fuel vapors will burn hotter causing the other fuel charge to burn more efficiently as only gasoline VAPOR will burn.
The Condensator came in 4 models A.B.C.and D. A was for 6 & 8 cyl carb engines, B was for 4 cyl carb engines both had the air vent. C was for fuel injected motors, this was the one I sold the most of as it would work on both carb and FI engines, and D was for diesels. Dale

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.