Hot Rod Forum banner

Fuel fitings

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  MouseFink 
#1 ·
Hello new here hope to help and receive help. Have a 66 GTO with tri power the fuel lines are formed to mate with the brass fittings a certain way. I removed the center carb to rebuild because it appeared to be flooding came to realize the brass fitting going into the carb is leaking and since I removed all three fuel lines the other two fittings now leak. turning them further to tighten makes them face the wrong direction so the fuel line can not be connected! I purchased some blue sealant from Permatex suposidly made for fuel it says on the package it becomes gooy and still leaks. any suggestions? Can a mechanicle fuel pump go bad and put out to much preassure? Thanks

#4 ·
I redid the fuel lines on one of my last 389 '65 GTO with copper tubing and a fuel block, fashioned out of a plumbing fixture I found. Mounting it on the head had no ill effects, no vapor lock, etc.

The engine on the stand is the same motor after a rebuild, I pumped up the motor, went +.060, restored the car, except for headers, white being a huge mistake, and returned to stock fuel lines for the value thing.

Attachments

#5 ·
I had to make the fuel lines for both of my 1962 and 1963 Pontiac Tri_Power Catalinas. That was before the repro fuel lines were available form A.P.E. and other Pontiac specialty companies. I used aluminum A.C. tubling just like the original fuel lines that is available in 25 ft. coils. You must use flare nuts and cut each of the three fuel lines to the correct length and double-flare the ends. I used up 15 feet of tubing before I got the fuel lines to fit just like the original fuel lines. Aluminum tubing is best to use because it bends easily without using a tubing bender and the double flared ends do not need to be tightened as much as steel or copper tubing in order to seal. Over tightening aluminum tubing will cause a leak.

Right Stuff pre-bent steel fuel lines with all the fittings are available from Summit. The Right Stuff steel fuel fuel lines are much more durable than using aluminuum A.C. fuel lines, although steel is not concours correct for your car show stuff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.