fuel float in tank - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2007, 11:06 AM
70 El Camino aka FRANKENSTEIN

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

haha thats creepy thats exactly word for word what my dad said a few weeks ago.

shes 22. she is my sis and i love her to death but i just cant stand how freakin lazy she is. im not tryin to make her look bad but she just has no drive to learn about her car that she says she loves so much but rarely even washes it!!! i mean my car is primer and i wash it all the time. she will wash it maybe 3 times a month. i will give her this tho... we have been talkin about what little things need to be done on it (finally after years of needin all what im about to list) such as all around weatherstripping, speedo gear because the speed is off by about 7mph, new headlights and a relay kit for them, new side view mirror, trim clips not the trim just the clips to hold it, new hood locks, and a few more little things. the most expensive thing to buy that is needed is the weatherstripping. so for the past 2 pay checks of hers she been givein me bits of money to put towards her car.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2007, 04:10 PM

Last photo:

elcamino,
you may have heard of the book: "Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus" (So True!)

what is a "priority" in your male head....is not a "priority" in her female head....
the items on the list are only "annoyances" to her, not a priority at all....

go do non-car stuff with her and enjoy life and each other....that's alot more important than a leaky door gasket or a wrong speedo

and that's the end of my "counseling session"
Old 10-25-2007, 04:10 PM

Last photo:

back on the subject

well i know i did somethin wrong because the gauge is still reading full and there is 100miles already drivin since the last filling of the tank. i know the gauge works because i tested it just as all of you said. could i have just gotten a bad float??? there is only one way to install the float and its in there that way. im gonna run the tank dry and pull the float to look at it maybe somethin is loose or bad idk ill take pics when i get it out either today or tomorrow
Old 10-25-2007, 04:35 PM

Last photo:

It sounds as if the wire (yellow/white stripe) to the gauge is grounded. Take it loose from the sender and the gauge should read empty. Put an ohm meter from the terminal on the sender where that yellow wires goes and check the resistance between it and the tank then between it (the terminal) and a good body ground. Get back to us with those readings and maybe we can figure this out but without those tests it will just be more guess work.
Old 10-25-2007, 05:20 PM

Last photo:

camino,
just adding to oldred's post....

read the ohms at the sender connect and at the dash harness yellow/white connect with the sender plug connected to the yellow/white....they should read the same "if" the yellow white wire is OK...

or...

do it "hi tech" to prove the yellow/white wire is OK
unplug the sender and the dash harness...use a known good piece of wire jumper hooked to the sender plug and dash plug and compare the guage readings
Old 10-25-2007, 05:20 PM

Last photo:

ill get to the tests hopefully today but for right now i pulled the float and took some pics everything looks right good and clean. ill put it back in and do the test you asked for oldred.

EDIT: everything on the outside looks good but check out the first pic. it fell off right after i took the pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	25083   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 001.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	25084   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 002.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	25085   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 003.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	146.8 KB
ID:	25086  

Last edited by elcaminodragster; 10-25-2007 at 05:25 PM. Reason: found something not right with the float
Old 10-25-2007, 08:40 PM

Last photo:

Return it for a refund or scrap it. You could put it back together and it MIGHT work but do you really want to trust that thing? From the price you paid for it I would have thought you had a good one but that thing looks like one of the "cheapies" I was talking about.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:32 PM

Last photo:

no im for sure gonna get a refund or exchange it. it seems like its gonna quality made but idk about the one part so im gonna give this brand one more shot. if it doesnt work or it fails then im gonna buy one from yearone ive had nothin but good parts from them on my elky. well thanks for all the help everyone
Old 10-26-2007, 05:46 AM

Last photo:

WHOA! I apparently was looking at the wrong thing because I thought you had paid well over a hundred bucks for that unit, no? The link you provided only takes me back to the home page now and not the sending unit. If you have that $44 unit (which is only a little over $20 at Mustangs unlimited) then that is the problem. If you get another one just like it you may have it work (or not) for a while but I would not expect it to last long at all.

This is what you need but it is pricey compared to what you have, unfortuantly what you have is most likely what you will get again if you replace that one with the same.

http://www.mustangsunlimited.reachlo...26ei%253DUTF-8

For whatever reason I can not get it to link directly to the part but you need P/N F1947 01

Maybe Red65 knows of a cheaper alternative?
Old 10-26-2007, 08:34 AM

Last photo:

camino,
since you do have the new sender out...stick the old one back in and compare the guage reading....both senders read full with half a tank of gas...it's not likely the sender

here's my brand choice for a sender.....car specific sender models and well made...$57 for a 68'

http://www.partsamerica.com/productd...rtNumber=FG86A

"check simple first"
roll up a piece of 400 or 600 grit sand paper into a tight small roll and clean the y/w wire female plug at the sender (it's only been exposed to weather for 40 years worth of corrosion)....better yet, cut it off and use a soldered loop connect and a (?) 3/16x24 thread nut...(whoopee, takes 2 minutes longer to remove the nut to pull the tank in order to have a rock-solid wire connect...)
when you are totally sure it is all done and working....last step....smear a dab of grease on the exposed threads/nut/terminal (cotten ear swab works great) so that it will come loose years from now (or sooner when she needs a new tank itself)

Last edited by red65mustang; 10-26-2007 at 09:08 AM.
Old 10-26-2007, 12:55 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by red65mustang
camino,
since you do have the new sender out...stick the old one back in and compare the guage reading....both senders read full with half a tank of gas...it's not likely the sender

here's my brand choice for a sender.....car specific sender models and well made...$57 for a 68'

http://www.partsamerica.com/productd...rtNumber=FG86A

"check simple first"
roll up a piece of 400 or 600 grit sand paper into a tight small roll and clean the y/w wire female plug at the sender (it's only been exposed to weather for 40 years worth of corrosion)....better yet, cut it off and use a soldered loop connect and a (?) 3/16x24 thread nut...(whoopee, takes 2 minutes longer to remove the nut to pull the tank in order to have a rock-solid wire connect...)
when you are totally sure it is all done and working....last step....smear a dab of grease on the exposed threads/nut/terminal (cotten ear swab works great) so that it will come loose years from now (or sooner when she needs a new tank itself)
im a few steps ahead of you i already cut off the connection and did the loop with a nut on it. some di electric grease and its sittin pretty i would try the old float but its trashed the filter is non existent and the float doesnt float lol.

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.