fuel float in tank - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2007, 01:11 PM
70 El Camino aka FRANKENSTEIN

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

fuel float in tank

hey all im changing the fuel float (gas tank float) in my sisters 68 mustang. i cant figure out how to get it out there is no help in the hayens book. im thinkin its some kinda twist lock set up but its either somethin different or its just givin me a hard time. im not a ford guy at all so all help would be great thanks.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2007, 01:20 PM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

It should just turn to the left and come out...give it a little gentile persuasion with a brass punch ( or something non-sparking) and a hammer.
Old 10-18-2007, 01:33 PM

Last photo:

You should be able to see the little "ears" on the lock ring sticking up, just tap these with a BRASS punch and the ring should turn right out (counter clock wise). Once that thin ring is off just lightly tap the fuel unit to break it loose from the tank and you should be in business.

One little note- don't waste your time/money on those cheap replacement units off E-bay or the cheapo outfits from the Mustang supply places most are total junk and will not last long if they even work right at all when you install one. Most of the Mustang supply outfits have good units but they cost a few dollars more, it is money well spent.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:30 PM

Last photo:

i got it out all good and easy. but now instead of it reading incorrectly it doesnt read at all! why would itdo this???
Old 10-18-2007, 02:44 PM

Last photo:

If you replaced it with one of those cheapo units I was talking about that could be the problem but most likely it is a bad ground. Take the Yellow/White stripe wire from the unit and ground it to a good ground on the body (not the tank) and the gauge should read full. If it does then make sure the tank is grounded. If not then check the wiring to the gauge and/or the gauge itself. Try this and let us know what happens and I am sure this will work out.

Good luck.
Old 10-18-2007, 07:27 PM

Last photo:

this is the unit i bought and installed. http://www.mustangsplus.com/Merchant...de=gas_sending

your talkin about the ground on the unit itself correct???

and what is the wire that connects to to float and goes to the top passenger on the fuel tank???
Old 10-18-2007, 08:17 PM

Last photo:

That unit should be no problem so you most likely have a ground problem. Did you try grounding the Yellow/White wire? That is the wire that goes back to the gauge and if all is ok the gauge will read full if that wire is removed from the sender terminal and grounded to the body momentarily. When the Yellow/White wire is attached to the unit terminal and the unit is installed in the tank then the sender will vary the resistance to ground through the sender frame to the fuel tank. I hope I am not being confusing here but I am almost certain you have a ground problem somewhere. I assume you had the unit installed in the tank when you checked it? It will not work if you had it outside the tank and moved the float up and down unless you grounded the unit to the body.
Old 10-19-2007, 06:45 AM

Last photo:

elcamino,
it was working..."not reading right"....

fair to good chance the yellow/white wire is worn out changing the resistance reading from the sender to the guage....(wires don't last forever...that one is 39 years old!)

some basics might help ya...(as simple as it is they can be a pita)....
think of the sender in the tank as a speaker volume control ( a reostat that changes resistance to voltage when you turn the dial for more or less volume)....
think of the guage as a speaker....less resistance=more speaker volume =needle shows full (or empty some are reversed)....
"that's all it is"....but....to read right....resistance value at the guage must be correct

look up the yellow/white pin connect # at the dash connect on the 68' wiring diagrams (E3?) I sent you.... unplugged, use a jumper to the sender and test for "0" ohms resistance in the wire....

I do hope that's the problem cause the next likely cause is the $$$ guage is dieing

oldred...CRS....did I give you the link to these fantastic wiring diagrams for Mustangs
http://www.hammar.dyndns.org/~djhamma/wiring.htm

elcamino, pretty easy to take apart the interior to replace that wire.....replace the brakes and turn signal wires at the same time = brighter brakes and turn lamps
Old 10-19-2007, 06:58 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by red65mustang
oldred...CRS....did I give you the link to these fantastic wiring diagrams for Mustangs
http://www.hammar.dyndns.org/~djhamma/wiring.htm

No, but I already have it and you are right these are fantastic diagrams.

Do you know of a source for newer Mustang diagrams (80s 90s)? Right now I would be especially interested in finding vacuum diagrams for an 87 5.0.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:11 AM

Last photo:

well i finally get a chance to look at the fuel float again today. im gonna check the grounds make sure all that is good. anything else i should look at just to double check???
Old 10-22-2007, 12:29 PM

Last photo:

alright it is a ground problem right now i have a wire going from the fuel float to the body and the gauge is workin perfectly. the wiring under the dash is in very good condish. should i leave it this way or is there a better/different way???
Old 10-23-2007, 08:18 AM

Last photo:

The unit should ground to the tank and the tank should be grounded to the body but if you have that wire firmly attached to the unit and the body it should work just fine, ground problems are the most common cause of fuel gauge failure on these Mustangs.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:55 AM

Last photo:

elcamino,
the sender unit "twist in cap" has alot of ground surface area against the tank steel....
the tank has a dozen or so mount screws for a plenty good tank ground to the body....
so....another ground source (wire) is usually not needed.....but it can only help not hurt

only "better" you can do is run a wire from the batt neg to the rear (under the body is fine) and ground the sender and tailights/turnsignals to that wire...for brighter brake lights (same as the halogens on your Camino...more direct batt ground helps!)

suggestion?:
you have been doing a BUNCH of maintenance repairs to HER car....
drag her butt to the garage and have her help.....
my daughter has thanked me many many times for teaching her when she was a teen the "what and why"....
because the knowledge does directly apply to any/all devices we use daily...(ex:a sender unit is a wall dimmer switch.... is a heat control in her hair dryer.... is a fan variable speed control.... is a "whatever" that varies resistance to control something)
my daughter has saved a pile of money doing simple repairs around the house herself...... (LOL! fix it herself to have more money to buy "more shoes" and purses is why your sister WANTS to learn this stuff!)

Last edited by red65mustang; 10-23-2007 at 10:14 AM.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:51 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by red65mustang
suggestion?:
you have been doing a BUNCH of maintenance repairs to HER car....
drag her butt to the garage and have her help.....
my daughter has thanked me many many times for teaching her when she was a teen the "what and why"....
because the knowledge does directly apply to any/all devices we use daily...(ex:a sender unit is a wall dimmer switch.... is a heat control in her hair dryer.... is a fan variable speed control.... is a "whatever" that varies resistance to control something)
my daughter has saved a pile of money doing simple repairs around the house herself...... (LOL! fix it herself to have more money to buy "more shoes" and purses is why your sister WANTS to learn this stuff!)

ive tried many many times to get her out there and help out or i walk her through it and she does it all. but she never goes out there. if i ask to much or try to plan a day for her to learn then shes gets mad. she keeps on sayin that she wants to learn but its like she just wants to up and know how to do it she doesnt want to learn and understand it. make sense??? the only time she has gone out there is to change the oil one time. she said its easy i can do that well the next oil change is comin up and im gonna MAKE her do it. nobody else works on cars in this house but me anymore so shes gonna have to do it. i know that sounds mean but she talks and talks about wantin to learn but never tries! at first i just gave up but now its really tickin me off!!! im gonna start forcein her to learn she gets mad oh well. just the other day i changed the water pump gasket on her mustang do to a little leak cleaned up the whole front of the engine she was inside watchin tv!!! its really gettin to me and it shouldnt.

can you tell thats a touchy subject
Old 10-24-2007, 05:19 AM

Last photo:

elcamino,

NEVER....NEVER....NEVER...."confront" and "force" any female to do anything!!!!

"paybacks" will go on forever!

how old is she?

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.