Fuel/gas tank - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2009, 09:45 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Fuel/gas tank

Not totally hot rodding but can be applied to one.

I need an auxiliary gas tank for my truck for when I haul my new and pretty big (34') 5th wheel camper. It's a PITA to stop often so am considering a bed mounted tank that I can install when we are traveling. There are several manufacturers that will supply tanks - but they are usually diesel only and are hooked directly into the filler. There are only a couple of gas versions and by the time I'm done with the installation, a thousand or so US dollars will have gone for the project. What I'm looking at is a Summit 22 gallon fuel cell with an electric fuel pump to transfer the gas to my main tank. This will not be a jury rig but built so that there will be no chance of spark/explosion. It's a plastic tank, but the truck has a 29 gallon plastic tank hanging on the left frame rail.

Any experience with Summit fuel cells good or bad? Anyone ever done this?

This is the p/n under consideration:http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Thanks,
Dave W

Advertisement
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2009, 11:12 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Just for giggles take a look at the dual tank system on an 87 to 96 ford PU as they had factory dual tanks..to do the transfer deal as you propose I think you will need dual lines between the tanks..one is a fuel transfer line and the other a vent relief line between the tanks..That way you can use the non-vented gas cap on the aux tank..the Summit tank is probably fine..the summit pump is probably fine as well as it is rated for 140 gph which will pump the 22 gal tank dry in about 8 minutes so that should work OK according to my calculator..

I do use my dual tanks on a long trip and when one runs out I am looking for a fill up and a leg stretch anyway..

Sam
Old 04-11-2009, 11:33 AM

Sam - with what claptrap is under the (short)bed of my truck, they wont work - believe me. There is a32" dia. spare, the B&W frame mounted gooseneck hitch, the regular Cl 4 hitch, a huge muffler and 4" set of pipes(yes, it's the V10), an as yet unidentified item about 6" in diameter between the frame rails, etc. The Ford "brain trust" in engineering have created a great aftermarket for fuel tank manufacturers with their economizing to itty bitty 25-30 gallon OEM tanks on trucks that get at best, 14-15mpg empty - and most of those after market guys are dazzled by the word DIESEL. I would really like to do something like that earlier tank arrt. I had dual tanks in my '76 F250, the'79 F350, totaling ~40 gallons and the '92 F250 had the optional big tank at 40 gallons.

Dave W
Old 04-11-2009, 11:35 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

A while back I was in the market for an auxiliary tank. I liked the idea behind THESE.

With the right toolbox, you could mount a fuel cell of your choice. Fab it yourself and save some $$.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2009, 11:49 AM

Cobalt - I've looked at the Transferflow and Aero tanks, but unfortunately they get up well beyond $1000 with shipping. Then to fab yourself, even using as a base, one of the really nice aluminum tool boxes from Tractor Supply are in the $700+ range, then you have to add the pick up, cap and bung, gage and a bunch of TIG welding to add baffles and seal the top - so are really no further ahead. I was just in Tractor Supply about 2 hours ago with that very thought in mind - but they do have a $299 tank, 36 gallons that is interesting......if the fuel cell idea "tanks"

Thanks for your thoughts,
Dave W
Old 04-11-2009, 11:57 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last photo:

Dave..Perhaps I misunder spoke or something..I was thinking of looking at the plumbing system on the earlier trucks and duplicating that and putting the aux tank in the bed....Anyway I am heading of to the Landspeed shop www.landspeed.com and will ask those guys as if anyone knows how to do a fuel transfer system they do..

Sam
Old 04-11-2009, 12:16 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelands child
I was just in Tractor Supply about 2 hours ago with that very thought in mind - but they do have a $299 tank, 36 gallons that is interesting......if the fuel cell idea "tanks"
LOL

I'm a little concerned about the safety/legality of mounting an unenclosed tank in the bed, though.

Seems it would be best to have it in something- out of sight of prying eyes, as it were.

But that said, I've seen maintenance trucks w/those hand-cranked tanks hauling hydraulic fluid/fuel/oil around all the time, so maybe I worry too much.
Old 04-11-2009, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreTime
Dave..Perhaps I misunder spoke or something..I was thinking of looking at the plumbing system on the earlier trucks and duplicating that and putting the aux tank in the bed....Anyway I am heading of to the Landspeed shop www.landspeed.com and will ask those guys as if anyone knows how to do a fuel transfer system they do..

Sam
Sam,
I'd appreciate that.

My guess is that I would have to either stick a hose down the filler (not the best/safest way) or tap into the tank filler line, use a vented cap while transferring (while parked) and maybe a dry break connection and go at it that way as the safest. This truck has several aux wiring systems just waiting for me to make my mods.

The eco folks haven't always made it easy for some of what we used to do with electric in tank fuel pumps, non vented feed fuel systems and smaller gas tanks.

Dave W
Old 04-11-2009, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
LOL

I'm a little concerned about the safety/legality of mounting an unenclosed tank in the bed, though.

Seems it would be best to have it in something- out of sight of prying eyes, as it were.

There are many after market in-bed tanks. Unfortunately most are for diesel powered trucks tho there are some for gasoline - but, again, in the $1000 (mostly+) range.
Dave
Old 04-11-2009, 04:51 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last photo:

Dave,

From what I have been able to discern so far is that we would need a tank of course..with an electric pump mounted in it to transfer the fuel..a sending unit on the aux tank would be good so the driver can check his fuel state easily..a separate fuel gauge would probably be the simple way to go..Then we pipe 2 lines from the aux tank to the main tank..one is fuel feed and the other is overfill/vent return to the aux tank..Just where these get plumbed into the main tank is a question but it may be possible to modify the fill tube on the main tank to accommodate those lines..Nest an over fill warning lite or auto shot off device on the aux tank will be nice tho it is possible for the driver to monitor the reg fuel gauge and when that shows full shut off the transfer pump..Have to pay attention tho..

this can all be plumbed with dry breaks and a plug in harness so the aux tank can be removed easily if necessary..

The other option would be to find a friendly ford parts guy who has the schematics for the Ford dual tank system and duplicate that as far as the piping and such..

Just some thoughts so far..

Sam
Old 04-11-2009, 05:39 PM

Thanks Sam

It really didn't get complicated until the OEM's went to electric fuel pumps, injection and return lines. I need to sit myself down with a sketch pad and see what I can come up with. I hadn't considered a return/overflow line, but should. As far as a gauge with a transfer system and if I limit to 20-22 gallons, probably not necessary as it will either be full or empty. If I go to a 36 gallon tank, which is what Tractor Supply has, then might have a problem.

Gotta give it some thought now -

I really dislike working on fuel systems now, particularly with the "new" gasolines with ethanol. I changed the fuel filter yesterday and could still smell it on my hands even after a wash with hand cleaner and a long shower - and nitrile gloves aren't the answer.

I'll try to update where I'm going with this in a few days.

Dave W
Old 04-11-2009, 09:08 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

It is feasable to tap into the filler hose look in a jegs catolog they have couplers that install in the filler j hose they are used to plumb returns for upgrading carbed vehicles for injection.For a transfer pump just get one of the small cheapie
transistorized pumps at an Autozone the only pump about 15 to 20 gph at 3psi.Then hook into a toggle switch and turn it on when your main tank shows 1/2 tank or so, shut it off before it shows full as you are driving.The army did this forever on duece and a 1/2's and 5 ton trucks with the multi fuel engine.Also I would hook it up with hydraulic quick connects and hose so the tank could quickly and easily be removed when not in use.Also using the steel reinforced hyd. hose would add an extra measure of safety against a hose being cut or leaking.
Old 04-12-2009, 01:35 AM
build it like you like them

Last journal entry: buggmann stilling looking
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

buggmann

hey i did this with a 1993 dodge shadow
and yes i said a dodge shadow
i cut the trunk floor out of the car and then
i took a 1968 stang gas tank put it in place of the
trunk floor cut a hole behind the tag for the filler neck
and put the tag on two small hinges so i could put gas
in that tank i then took a 5\16 piece of gas line and ran it
from the 68 tank to the stock tank on the 93 shadow
i got a 25.00 fuel pump so the fuel would go from one
tank to the other put a switch in the dash to turn the
pump on and off and off i went i did the hole thing for under
150.00 and it only took me a weekend to do this
Old 04-12-2009, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnym17
It is feasable to tap into the filler hose look in a jegs catolog before it shows full as you are driving........The army did this forever on duece and a 1/2's and 5 ton trucks with the multi fuel engine........Also using the steel reinforced hyd. hose ........

I spent a bunch of time with the Jeg's and Summit cats early yesterday looking at tanks and pumps but on line which is good but not as convenient as the hard copy. I'm going to dig them up today for that fitting and others.

The Army that I was in was way before any multi fuel engines. Everything burned gasoline, from M38A1 Jeeps right on through the M262 wrecker (I was a motor sergeant)

Any exposed hose will get AN fittings and braided hose. Even my '31 has all braided hose or SS lines everywhere but the a/c and heater and that might be happening soon.

Buggmann - wasn't that mod inside the trunk and a bit dangerous??

Dave W
Old 04-12-2009, 08:38 AM
How’s that hopey-changey thing

Last wiki edit: Determining top dead center
Last journal entry: Quicky frame dolly
Last photo:

Dave you on the road yet? or still waiting the interior ya sent out to be done??

thinking you have not cause you are not saying anything about the 32 .. spring is here time to drive the hardware ...

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.