Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Fuel gauge for "Moon" type alum. gas tank?
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2009, 07:22 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepi
All after market sending units can be set up for different tank heights.... Another thought, how about a sight glass kinda of deal....
The tank height isn't the problem as I see it. The question is, how do you attach the unit to the tank. The tank is curved and the sender units I've seen are all made to mount flat on top of the tank. Also, I don't want to tear apart or cut into my tank unless I know for sure I can get something that will work. It's just not worth the risk to me to do a lot of experimentation trying to flog something to fit. I can live with just keeping track of my mileage for refueling...but just thought a gauge of some sort would really be convenient. I was hoping Moon or someone else made a nice, neat, easy to install sender for this exact application.

The sight glass idea might have worked well with the car in its original configuration (the photo in my first post). But that was just to show the tank I'm using. The tank has now been moved and tucked up under the pickup bed between the frame rails. There's no way I can see to affix a sight glass without it being very remote and very exposed...which I think would be a potential danger. But I'm open to suggestions if you see an alternative.

This is how the car is configured in its final version. The tank will be almost totally out of view.