Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Fuel gauge for "Moon" type alum. gas tank?
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2009, 11:32 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gear~head
Instead of cutting your tank apart, can you fabricate a sending unit that inserts in through the filler neck?
Hmmmm, now you've got me thinking. If the sending unit could somehow be mounted to a circle or ring that could be friction fit or pressure fit (maybe a steel ring with a slice cut out so you could compress it to fit in the filler hole) it would solve having to chop another large hole anywhere on the tank or figure out a flat spot for bolting it up. I'd also need to get the wiring in and out - but possibly that could be through a small hole drilled just to the side of the filler hole. It would have to be sealed up somehow.

Seems like some possibilities here. I'll have to look more closely at some of the sending units to see if I could adapt one to work with this idea. Thanks Gear...you got my brain cranking now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gear~head
...can I ask how you made the belt line?
Absolutely. It's one of my favorite topics. The belt line is made out of garden hose. Honest. It's the flat type sprinkler hose which turns out to be just about the right shape and height for belt line fabrication. Here are a couple of pictures of it being fabricated but just for your info, you can go to my journal here and see how the entire car was built...from early sketches through my current work sewing up the interior. And if you are interested in scratch built cars, you can also see my roadster being built here.

The hose.

Cut, shaped and contact cemented to the body.

A layer of fiberglass cloth applied over the top.

A bit of filler and some sanding.

And a dash of paint. Instant accent lines.