Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Fuel gauge for "Moon" type alum. gas tank?
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2009, 10:11 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboy
Hmmmm, now you've got me thinking. If the sending unit could somehow be mounted to a circle or ring that could be friction fit or pressure fit (maybe a steel ring with a slice cut out so you could compress it to fit in the filler hole) it would solve having to chop another large hole anywhere on the tank or figure out a flat spot for bolting it up. I'd also need to get the wiring in and out - but possibly that could be through a small hole drilled just to the side of the filler hole. It would have to be sealed up somehow.

Seems like some possibilities here. I'll have to look more closely at some of the sending units to see if I could adapt one to work with this idea. Thanks Gear...you got my brain cranking now.

Lol...n/p. Looking at the pics again, you must fill your tank through the box floor? Your hieght availability must be totally limited. Is there enough room to weld on a small fitting so you can use a compressable grommet and nut to seal the wire(s) passing through it? I wonder if there is any electronic liquid level sensors you could insert. Something that didnt have a mechanical float....

Awesome idea, the lay flat hose is. Way cool! I'd love to build from scratch someday, but a rat rod with loads of rust & faded paint patina is really appealing to me lately. First I have to get my parts chaser done