Fuel gauge for "Moon" type alum. gas tank? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2009, 09:13 PM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

After some more searching on the internet I ended up ordering this Sunpro unit which appears to have just one bolt through top plate with the wiring passing through that mounting point. I can't tell for absolute certain from the picture but I'm willing to take a shot since the price of this unit PLUS the gauge (with free shipping from Amazon) came out to be less than the Autometer sending unit alone from Pacific Customs. What further sold me was that the gauge (black face/black bezel) matches my other gauges.

I'll post an update after it arrives and I see exactly what I have to work with. My only concern now is getting the unit through my existing filler hole. It's going to be tight.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2009, 09:36 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Why can't you cut the right size hole into the top on the tank, Then take the top plate of the sender unit, And make a new top plate that will be bent on the same curve of the tank, Bolt the sender unit to it, Drop it into the hole on the tank,, And bolt it on.. Make the curved plate a little bigger then the hole..And add a gasket..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2009, 10:15 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW INTERIORS
Why can't you cut the right size hole into the top on the tank...
Primarily because I don't want to butcher this tank and have the fabrication fail for some reason. I'm just looking to limit my down side by drilling the smallest hole possible...something I can easily seal up should things go array. It's just not worth it to me to take any chances as all with the tank at this point...I'd rather use the mileage and yardstick routine.

Once the sending unit arrives I think I'll be able to figure out a fullproof approach.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:12 PM

Last photo:

The sender and fuel gauge arrived today so I couldn't resist checking it out. As seen in the first picture, the flat top plate comes off easily with the removal of the nuts on the center bolt.

So after seeing exactly what I had to work with, I determined that New Interiors had the right approach...hack a new hole in the top of the tank and use the existing top plate to attach the unit to the tank. Before cutting a hole, I wanted to make sure I could bend the plate and get it to conform to the curve of the tank.

I then took a very deep breath and attacked the tank with my hole saw. After cutting in the main hole, I drilled 5 holes for the self tapping screws (included with the sender).

I bolted the sender unit and bracket back onto the top plate, fished the unit through the hole, and bolted it down. I'll wait until I install the tank to set the final float height. BTW, the unit comes with a very good instruction sheet for setting the float based on the tank depth. I do, however, think the gauge will be somewhat deceptive between about 1/4 tank and empty, the reason being the shape of these tanks. The unit assumes a big flat tank with a uniform area at every height. But a moon tank obviously has much more area (cubic inches of fuel) at the half way mark than at either "full" or "empty". This will just become a matter of watching the gauge carefully and estimating the speed at which the remaining fuel will be used up. But still MUCH better than the yard stick routine.

Turned out to be a great little addition to the car. I got the sender AND a 2 1/4" fuel gauge that matched the rest of the gauges on my dash all for $30. The conversion was quite a bit easier than I was anticipating and a huge thank-you to all of you who kicked this one around and got me on track. It's going to be GREAT having an actual fuel gauge...very classy.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:32 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Look's very good Cboy... That's what I was trying to explain.. Came out very nice.. If Any one wanted to do this, You can also make two cap plates, One thicker one that you can tig on the tank,, And be able to drill in tap, Then cut out the center hole, Then drop in the unit, And you then have something to screw too.. But the way cboy did it will work find..
Old 12-10-2009, 08:27 PM
More for Less Racer

So simple, yet you were worried about cutting a hole ... Nice job , good find, I've been looking for something just like that for fabricated fuel cells. Autometer thinks their stuff is made of gold

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.