fuel gauge wiring - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2005, 02:06 PM

Last journal entry: finished
Wiki Edits: 0

fuel gauge wiring

Hey guys,
I've been trying to wire in my dash gauges, and now i'm onto my fuel gauge. I wired it up like it says in the wiring schematic, with the continuous voltage regulator and everything, but when i turn the key the needle goes from empty to all the way pegged past full. I assumed that this was because the fuel sender wasn't grounded right, but i went back there and there's only one wire coming out of the sender that i can see... and that's the one that i have running up to the gauge. How do i ground the sender with no ground wire, or is it a different problem altogether? Thanks a bunch

frank

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2005, 03:42 PM

Last photo:

ground wire

;if the tank unit is installed, the tank should ground the guage -- some tanks have a seperate ground wire running to chassis ground. if the unit is not installed you can use a jumper wire from the guage to ground. or you can remove the guage from the tank and solder a ground wire to the guage flange, then ground the wire.
Old 07-25-2005, 05:39 PM

Last journal entry: finished

thanks for the reply delivery. the sender is already in, it's just the stock sender i don't know if anyone has replaced it yet, but it must just ground to the tank because i don't see a chassis ground anywhere. Is a bad grounded sender usually what would make the gas gauge peg full like that? If i can't get it to work i'll pull the sender and solder on a wire like you said, thanks for the help!

frank
Old 07-25-2005, 05:54 PM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

The fuel gage works on the principle of a controlled ground so the wire going to the sending unit is really a grounding wire. The sending unit is a rheostat that is grounded to the sending unit case. You must make sure the sending unit is grounded to the vehicle frame or body. When the tank is empty, the gage circuit is open and does not indicate (Empty or E). As the fuel level rises, more and more current from the gage goes to ground and when full, needle should read "Full or F". If the needle pegs immediately after turning the ignition on, then your sending unit is probably shorted out. Disconnect the wire from the sending unit and run twelve volts to the unit thru a volt meter. If the unit is shorted (fully grounded), your meter will read system voltage. You can remove your sending unit and put an ohm meter on it (one wire on the lead wire pin and one on the unit case) . If it is shorted, the meter will "peg" regardless of the position of the float arm.

Trees
Old 07-26-2005, 06:46 PM

Last photo:

fuel guage

do not put 12 volts to the fuel sender, through any meter or other wise. it will destroy the sender.if you decide to drop the gas tank the sender can tested out of the tank with an ohm meter. attach the meter to the sender and the other lead to the body of the sender. depending on the make of the veh, you can read the ohms through the meter.operate the float manually and read the ohms. if it is a GM it will read 3or4 ohms to 90 ohms. if is a ford or other make I'm not sure. this you can find though some research. or maybe someone will write and let you know.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.